Ford 8.8! Will it work in a 74 scamp

-
Reaction score
I have an 8.8 with 3.73 gears and i believe its out of a ford explorer. will it work in a 74 plymouth scamp? Thanks again

Well I measured the wheel base and it is 59 1/4. So I'm not sure what that's out of but it has disk brakes as well! It should fit perfect bit how do make my draft shaft fit to the round plate that would normally have a yoke to fit the u joint!

The explorer axle is about 5" wider than the A body axle.

The Exploder rear is only 2" wide than a stock A-body. It will work, but may need a lot of backspacing on the wheels. You will be better off cutting the longer side axle down to the same length as the shorter side. Then you will be just a hair slimmer than a stock A-body. It is a good swap, cheap and readily available parts.

The Exploder rear is only 2" wide than a stock A-body. It will work, but may need a lot of backspacing on the wheels. You will be better off cutting the longer side axle down to the same length as the shorter side. Then you will be just a hair slimmer than a stock A-body. It is a good swap, cheap and readily available parts.

Thats weird the 7 1/4 that came out of my barracuda was 55.5 or so inches, the 8 3/4 I swaped it out to is the same width as the 7 1/4 and the 8.8 explorer axle I have is about 59.75" So I guess its closer to 4 inches wider. Do they make different width a body axles? Ive delt with a bunch of explorer 8.8s and they are all the same basic widthm so it must be the a body axles that vary.

Thats weird the 7 1/4 that came out of my barracuda was 55.5 or so inches, the 8 3/4 I swaped it out to is the same width as the 7 1/4 and the 8.8 explorer axle I have is about 59.75" So I guess its closer to 4 inches wider. Do they make different width a body axles? Ive delt with a bunch of explorer 8.8s and they are all the same basic widthm so it must be the a body axles that vary.

No offense intended here, just posting some facts. The widest Explorer 8.8 rear is 59.5" wide, most likely a small arc in the tape measure causing a 1/4" difference, not a big deal though. As for the 7 1/4, I don't know, all I know is that the 8 3/4 A-body housings standard measurment is 57 1/8" wide.

-
Back