ford 9 or 8 3/4

-
In my opinion both are excellent. It's always been my opinion that for racing purposes a 9" or a Dana 60, for street use an 8 3/4 Sure Grip. It's mild mannered, tough, and can literally be ignored for years.

just my 2¢

Thanks guys! this was actually part of an April fools joke lol I'd never use any thing but Mopar.

That is just MEAN. And to think that I voted for you to become the blogger and then you do this! LOL

Honestly I just dropped a couple bucks on a 9" for my car. Dollar for Dollar I can get twice the rear end in a 9" compared to a 8 3/4 and parts are everywhere for the 9" cheap.

Don't get me wrong I don't care what other people do it's their car and I think uniqueness is cool but I'll never use anything other than Chrysler products for my main parts.

Honestly I just dropped a couple bucks on a 9" for my car. Dollar for Dollar I can get twice the rear end in a 9" compared to a 8 3/4 and parts are everywhere for the 9" cheap.

Yup way more gear choices, Stronger and cheaper to build than 8.75!

Here is the 9" I just built for my 67 Dart TT Project. It did have an 8.75 in it that was 4 linked and I sold it to build this one.

View attachment IMG_4366.jpg

View attachment IMG_4365.jpg

View attachment IMG_4364.jpg

View attachment IMG_4360.jpg

View attachment IMG_4359.jpg

I've had more different gear sets in my 8 3/4. I can change them out in about 40 min. on my back.
Everything from 3.23-3.55-3.91-4.10-4.30 and 4.56. Looks like a wide selection to me.
Unless you put 700 or more HP through it. You won't hurt it.
:burnout:

I've had more different gear sets in my 8 3/4. I can change them out in about 40 min. on my back.
Everything from 3.23-3.55-3.91-4.10-4.30 and 4.56. Looks like a wide selection to me.

How you been Brian? And also how do you choose between them all?
I sure wouldnt be able to

Don't get me wrong I don't care what other people do it's their car and I think uniqueness is cool but I'll never use anything other than Chrysler products for my main parts.

I'm with you, that's what moparing is all about. we are outnumbered by the other brands. :banghead:

Yeah your right Brian. However put that same 8.75 behind a stick car with 700 ftlbs and launch it at 3500 see how she holds. I like the 9" and Dana 60 because of the pinion support on the 9" and the shear beef of the 60. I cannot afford a Dana right now so the 9" was my natural choice. Also a 9" is just as easy to swap gears in if not easier because you can have different pinions and posi units all ready to go and just swap the pinion housing and boom.

1000 to the tires! Try that with an 8.75

1000 to the tires! Try that with an 8.75

in that case I would have to go with dana 60. Hotrodding is an art in itself,
mostly done with factory drivetrains, built up with aftermarket parts.

in that case I would have to go with dana 60. Hotrodding is an art in itself,
mostly done with factory drivetrains, built up with aftermarket parts.

I almost did go with a D-60 but cost, gear selection and EASE of changing them had me go with a 9". People get too tripped up on the subject when it comes to rear swaps. At the track you will see at least 95% of the serious racers are running a Ford 9" no matter what brand of car it is. There is a reason for this. They are less $$ easier to find parts for and are hella strong. No getting around it.

I agree, the ford 9" is a tough unit and cost effective, have seen many used in different applications. I think it has been around longer than the 60.

-
Back