Ford 9" or 8.8"

-

Wilnutt

Reaction score
Need a rear, heard these are cheap..what all would i need to do to fit it in a dmeon... is there a list of ford vehicles that could be donor cars/trucks for our demon? what's teh average price to narrow axles and housing?

Hello I just bought a 8.8 ford with rear disc and 4.10 clutch pos, with 37,000 miles on it. 200.00 local junk yard 2000 explorer. Backing plate to backing plate is 54" you have about 50" I paid mosher engineing 110.00 to narrow 4" and they sold me two after market axles correct lenth for 250.00 a pair you need to weld perchs on to housing and refit drive shaft but you can do this on a low budget as long as you have time, its time or money I guess. 373 gear is easy on gas yet still a great gear.

Roughly 600.00, verses most used axles are 800.00 with higher gears, to gear a 8 3/4 a -body axle to 4.10 pos[ and still no rear disc] which is a must for me doing short quick runs always on the brakes, it would be over 1100.00 or more depending on what you use for rear disc system. It does take some work and research to find connections in your area. GOOD LUCK

Did you narrow the rim for a certain rim/tire combo or is it to long as/is to use ?

If you are not in a great hurry just look around. You will find an A-body 8¾ for less money and a lot less trouble than it usually takes to make a Ford rear fit the car. The Ford rear also robs you of power because of where the pinion meets the ring gear. They are strong rears but the 8¾ is definitely a better design and will bolt right in.

The only 8-3/4s I have found are in the $800 to $1300 range before shipping. Low end being stock with open gears in the 276 to 232 range and high being all new with good axles and gears/sure grip.

a.) Adam's right
b.)I'm in quite a hurry
c.) I'm not worried about losin' some power, this is for my sis' car

Man, that is high. I have seen several of them not new but needing nothing go for under $500, and a couple under $400. I think there was one right here on these forums for like $375. I've seen Dana 60's go for that kind of money. If you are in a hurry and it is for her car than go as cheap as you can but I would definitely not rule out getting one for cheaper than doing the work to make a Ford rear fit. If it is for her car and you don't care about power why even bother with a HP rear in the first place?

Those prices sounds like bare housings. A used sure grip center will go for $500 all day.

There is a guy on ebay that is cutting housing down to A body length. He's about $275 plus I think. Then add a used sure grip housing for say $400 ( a deal like your friend picked up) a set of used small bolt axles for $100 ($400 for new big bolt axles). Your at $800 for used stuff or $100 if you go for the new axles and you still dont have brakes on it.

If you go that route. I do know people who have picked up complete rears for under $500. Like I said, not new, but needing nothing unless you want to change the ratio. I wouldn't put one in a show or race car but they were fine for drivers.

i'm sayin' 5% isn't a worry...i do care about hp... the 7 1/4 isn't gonna hold my 340...rough 350hp, give or take 20hp...i want dependable rear...if i can do like a 2000 explorer..with disc, i'm just :thinkin'" it'd be more dependalbe no?

i have a guy that will give me a 8 3/4 out of a satellite..if i remove it...if it's a non posi for $350...if a posi..$700

PLUS I THOUGHT the power loss came fomr the ford 9"..not the 8.8"?????

I picked up my 8 3/4" small bolt a-body rear, suregrip 3.23 with brakes for $100 Canadian ($85 US).....but I know that was a downright steal and I'm just bragging...sorry. :)

I went the ford 8.8 route. Im in canada and there are no junk yards with older vehicles here (where I am at). A 8 3/4 would be waaaay too much. I picked up the rear out of a 91 explorer with an extra passenger axle for 115$ cdn. I paid 165$ to have the drivers side shortened 3" and spring perches welded on. It is going under my 72 dart. I have never rebuilt a diff before, but it was quite easy. Basic R + R.

I agree with Adam. Most worthy, complete 8 3/4 I have seen are in the $1000 range. I have been looking for quite a while. There was one exception for about $500 some time ago, but that was for a 741 case 8 3/4 with open 2.76. But 742 & 489 cases complete, no way.

i'm sayin' i think a posi 3.73 geared rear end, with discs for $500 or so bucks is worth it..at least if the labor is done right and it'll hold..that's y i'm curious if the 2 passanger axles work..hopin' busted knuckles replies

with the 8.8 rear, you use two passenger side axles. they are a 5 on 4.5 pattern. with the explorer rear the driver side axle is 3" longer than the passenger side axle. Shorten the driver side axle tube 3" and the extra passenger axle ( picked it up when i got the rear from the jy) slides right in giving you the proper width for an a body. the axles are pretty stout looking. 31 splines. I will get some pics, I am learning how to put photos online.

ahh....i wanna know man!!! right now my engine's not together..so i got a whoppi'n 0...lol well i was wonderin' if you're over 350hp?

-
Back