ford explorer brakes on 8 1/4?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
I saw someone saying that they can use explorer brakes with an 8 3/4 by drilling a 5th hole in the caliper bracket. If I'm not mistaken, isnt that the same mod needed for using grand cherokee disc brakes?? So would that mean that the explorer bracket would bolt right onto a 8 1/4?

I ask because i had no luck finding grand cherokee disc brakes at the junkyard. However, i found 3-4 explorers with disc brakes.

I saw someone saying that they can use explorer brakes with an 8 3/4 by drilling a 5th hole in the caliper bracket. If I'm not mistaken, isnt that the same mod needed for using grand cherokee disc brakes?? So would that mean that the explorer bracket would bolt right onto a 8 1/4?

I ask because i had no luck finding grand cherokee disc brakes at the junkyard. However, i found 3-4 explorers with disc brakes.
I saw some pics here somewhere where somebody done the Explorer brakes. I had a hard time finding the Jeep ones too but here recently Pick N Pull just got in about 6 of them and I pulled the brakes off of one and I'm thinking of going to get another. I paid $88 for the pair of backing plates with the hardware and the complete parking brake setup. I'll try to go back this weekend and see if I can get some more and offer them up here.

Hopefully it works. One good effect of the cash for clunkers is that those exploders got dropped like a bad habit. My local pick and pull has like 9 of them with the disc rear end.

I'd take one for the hell of it! I gotta find that thread where I seen the Exploder swap, but now that I think about it he put the entire Ford rear in the car, not the ends...

-
Back