ford rear end

-

rockin440

Reaction score
Can I put an 8.8 rear,in my 74 dart?What kind of mod's will I have to do?Thanks in advance.

ok..here's what you do...just to let you know..i was going to do this, but no one could find me a 3.55 limited slip, only 3.73's...but all you have to do.....

*find an 8.8 out of an explorer
*get and extra passanger/driver side aget a shop to make the longer side ...ican't remember which on is shorter now....but make sure it's the short side..99% sure it's teh passanger side
*get a shop to cut thehousing to make the longer sid e= the shorter side...put the spare axle in..AND WAH-LAAA!!!

If you get 95-01, they'll have disc too ;-)

I would run an 8 1/4 instead of all of the messing around. The 8 1/4 Mopar and 8.8 Ford have the same size pinion (1.625) and the '98 and down axles are basically the same size (27 spline Mopar, 28 spline Ford). If you get a '99 up Explorer rear end then you get the 31 spline axles so this would be the only advantage to me. But still not worth it. I have never had an axle break on a car I ran, but I have broken a pinion once.

Chuck

The difference between the passenger side axle and drivere side axle is 3". cut the driver side axle tube down by 3", put another passenger side axle (the shorter one) in place. weld on some perches, you may have to cut your drive shaft down, I had to cut off 2". I think the 3.73 are the most common, but I love em.

-
Back