Ford strikes again

-
i wouldn't think the exhaust would be hot enough at an idle to ignite unburnt fuel. But damn, maybe i should find one of those. It could be lots of fun "burning" rice burners.

What it's doing is regenerating the particulate filter, at idle.

What they do is dump extra fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke. It doesn't add any power but it dumps raw fuel down the exhaust where the hot catalytic converter ignites it and it burns the particulates out of the filter.

All the new diesels do it but the Dodges do it at highway speeds only, not at idle. You notice the guy revs it up and it clears out but if the video was longer you'd see it light off again as it idles.

A simple software change will correct this but how in the world did Ford overlook this? To me it's just representative of their engineering.

i didnt know they were puttin particulate filters in the pickups already. hell last i heard pete was just startin to put em on their trucks

Are you sure they aren't having a "FIRE SALE" to deplete the remaining units in stock?? HE HE

I still don't buy Ford's fix on this....they are gonna reprogram the PCM to cut back the fuel to lower the EGT's.....whats gonna happen when some guy is pulling a big hill and the PCM cuts the fuel back cause the EGT's got to high and puts it into limp mode? You're gonna have a lot of pissed off powerjoke owners that's what.

Dusterb318 said:
I still don't buy Ford's fix on this....they are gonna reprogram the PCM to cut back the fuel to lower the EGT's.....whats gonna happen when some guy is pulling a big hill and the PCM cuts the fuel back cause the EGT's got to high and puts it into limp mode? You're gonna have a lot of pissed off powerjoke owners that's what.

You are absolutely right. Their explanation was a joke. First of all if it was a leaking turbo it would be oil, not fuel. No fuel flows through the turbos. Secondly if it was a leaking injector then there would be other problems, driveability problems because it would be leaking all the time. Thirdly a software change isn't going to fix either of those problems because they are uncontrolled leaks. No amount of fuel cut back is going to stop the leak as long as the engine is running. That's bullshit.

The controller is regenerating the particulate filter at idle, plain and simple and that was just stupid. Even without the flames that is super heated exhaust coming out of there, it would burn the flesh right off your toddler or your legs if you happened to be walking by.

-
Back