Former owner foul-ups.

-
Wasn’t an abody but a Ramcharger. Electric fuel pump with no pressure regulator installed, direct to the carb. It did run, but I’ve never seen a motor smoke like that before and had a rod knock. Bearings were all washed out.

Back in the day , folks put sbc in fflords because the block of a sbff is 5" longer than a sbc . Also sbff had different firing orders depending on the year of the engine . Very confusing . Sbff's also had oil pans with different sumps depending on year, make , model or color (lol). Again , depending on year the balancer/flex plate issue comes up . I saw a 34 Plymouth rod for sale and asked the owner why it had a sbc motor . His r esponse was "I wanted something dependable " I said to him , " So , 16 million small Mopars on the road isn't dependable "? No response ! Why are there no Ford engines in Chevies ? lol, lol

Back in the day , folks put sbc in fflords because the block of a sbff is 5" longer than a sbc . Also sbff had different firing orders depending on the year of the engine . Very confusing . Sbff's also had oil pans with different sumps depending on year, make , model or color (lol). Again , depending on year the balancer/flex plate issue comes up . I saw a 34 Plymouth rod for sale and asked the owner why it had a sbc motor . His r esponse was "I wanted something dependable " I said to him , " So , 16 million small Mopars on the road isn't dependable "? No response ! Why are there no Ford engines in Chevies ? lol, lol
No offense, but we're you drunk when you posted this?

Edit: also a sbf is maybe an inch longer than a sec but at least a couple inches narrower and better distributor placement.

Last edited:
78 Warlock. All the hot wires under the hood were tied together with a carriage bolt wrapped in electrical tape, laying on the inner fender. It did run but how that truck didn’t burn up is beyond me!!

4-through-the-floor conversion from 3-on-the-tree - cut 2 holes in the tunnel, ran the rods 1 hole to the other under the carpet.

what a surprise that was :(

I don't get it, that's exactly how the factory did it. Hole in the tunnel, although you can kind of call it two because of the crossmember, with the shift rods on the cabin side. Sounds like the only difference is the factory put a 4 speed hump over the top when they were done. But the floor and tunnel was the same, the factory just cut the holes and added the hump.

4-sp-conversion-011-jpg.jpg

dcp_4361-jpg.jpg

When I did mine I cut two holes, leaving the floor intact over the top of the crossmember to keep the crossmember boxed. Here's the before picture, the lines were copied from a factory pattern. The four speed hump I bought had been cut around the outer edge, leaving the factory floor pattern still attached. I added the lines for the crossmember to leave it alone, but the outer lines were from the factory pattern.
IMG_1005.jpg

And the holes
IMG_1006.jpg

I don't get it, that's exactly how the factory did it. Hole in the tunnel, although you can kind of call it two because of the crossmember, with the shift rods on the cabin side. Sounds like the only difference is the factory put a 4 speed hump over the top when they were done. But the floor and tunnel was the same, the factory just cut the holes and added the hump.

When I did mine I cut two holes, leaving the floor intact over the top of the crossmember to keep the crossmember boxed. Here's the before picture, the lines were copied from a factory pattern. The four speed hump I bought had been cut around the outer edge, leaving the factory floor pattern still attached. I added the lines for the crossmember to leave it alone, but the outer lines were from the factory pattern.

yes - but without the hump, you get water, mud, snow, all kinds of crap blown/sucked up into the carpet, and the rods rub and catch on the carper - not an ideal situation

78 Warlock. All the hot wires under the hood were tied together with a carriage bolt wrapped in electrical tape, laying on the inner fender. It did run but how that truck didn’t burn up is beyond me!!

Wiring...yeah, every Mopar owner has a wiring story :).

Here's one of mine...a '73 Charger I bought a few years back. The pic says it all:

wiring_002.jpg

On my '70 Swinger...Back in the mid-`80's, my dad helped the last owner put together a 340 that had some pretty good snot to it. The street tires that were on it had a hard time getting any bite. My dad gave him a pair of ancient Casler cheater slicks. Quite a lot of people on this forum will know that a `70 Swinger will only take a 28" tall tire, because of wheel opening clearance. The Caslers were 32" tall. Needless to say, they didn't fit. The last owner told two of his buddies that he was leaving the garage for ten minutes, and when he came back, he wanted the tires on the car. They took a hammer and beat the wheel openings forward, until there was enough room for the slicks. Oh, I forgot to mention, the car was rust-free, and had been freshly painted two weeks before. It is still like that today.

Same car. I pulled out not one, not two, not three, but FOUR lengths of speaker wire running from the dashboard to the package shelf.

yes - but without the hump, you get water, mud, snow, all kinds of crap blown/sucked up into the carpet, and the rods rub and catch on the carper - not an ideal situation

Right, but your post made it sound like the two holes in the floor and the linkage on the cabin side was the problem. At least that's the way I read it. That part's normal, every 4 speed A body has a hole in the floor and linkage on the top side of the floor pan. The missing 4 speed hump was the problem.

Rags left in the motor they put there to scrape the intake gaskets. He bought the 360 2bbl motor out of my plow truck.

Changed the intake and the oil pan to put it in a dart. Brought the car to me and wanted his money back due to low oil pressure.

Being he put an adapter on it I put it on the lift to check the gaskets. This is what I found. Yes he did have an adapter with the standard plate under it. He then insisted they were in there until I reminded him he put a 4bbl intake on and the motor came out of a truck so I knew he changed the pan.

He is a well known member on this site and tried to make amends. but others told me stories of how he talked about me. I gave him many parts free because I felt sorry for him. He had Kids with no money. He cut off his nose to spite his face. I have many better items with pics but this post would go on forever

aoil1[1].jpg

aoil2[1].jpg

Rags left in the motor they put there to scrape the intake gaskets. He bought the 360 2bbl motor out of my plow truck.

Changed the intake and the oil pan to put it in a dart. Brought the car to me and wanted his money back due to low oil pressure.

Being he put an adapter on it I put it on the lift to check the gaskets. This is what I found. Yes he did have an adapter with the standard plate under it. He then insisted they were in there until I reminded him he put a 4bbl intake on and the motor came out of a truck so I knew he changed the pan.

He is a well known member on this site and tried to make amends. but others told me stories of how he talked about me. I gave him many parts free because I felt sorry for him. He had Kids with no money. He cut off his nose to spite his face. I have many better items with pics but this post would go on forever

View attachment 1715159343

View attachment 1715159344

HaHaHa... Have a similar story. Bought a 67 coronet years ago for real cheap for the body mainly. Engine Ran but little clacking.Oil dirty and bumpy?

Guy put about 3 lbs of sawdust in oil to drown out rod knock..........whooooa!

-
Back