forms for bringing parts across the border

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct form to fill when bringing parts into the U.S from Canada? Im talking about the one they would nail you for whatever fee at the border when bringing it across yourself to ship to someone you sold it to.

Where can I download it?

Last time I brought any back was about 8 years ago thru Niagra Falls, NY and I didn't need any forms.

Larry

I get all my parts sent to North Dakota. I drive down and pick them up with no forms.......all they want is the price before tax,converted to Canadian funds and you only pay tax on the difference on the CAD value.
The only thing that might have you paying duty is if the parts weren't made in North America.
I hope I helped and didn't confuse you

I work at the Border, there is no forms. You just declare the value of the parts, pay a 5% Federal Tax and whatever Provincial tax for the province your in. Ontario is 8%.

Riddler

I bought a 350 Olds block in Washington state about 15 years ago and all the border guard asked is if it was for my business. I told him no, it was a block I was going to build for my 75 Olds 442 daily driver. He said OK, have a nice day. Things are probably a bit tighter nowadays though.

Per my experience with Canada Customs:

(1) Normally Canada Customs won't bother you with used auto parts.

(2) New auto parts may require a visit to the secondary checkpoint. It depends on the customs agent you are dealing with. You will be given a form to fill out and you may be hit with duties and taxes.

(2b) Any new parts ordered from a US company will come with the carrier's customs papers. You pay the carrier duty/taxes/delivery charges.

(3) Vehicles must be 15 years old to avoid any duties. Taxes are assessed on Blue Book value or your receipt, which ever is the greatest. A/C taxes will apply to all vehicles. You will be given a form to fill out for plateable vehicles.

(3b) If you're bringing back a "potential race car" it will depend on the agent you get. I've brought back two rolling shells in the past 5 years and didn't pay any duties or taxes.

If you need more detail google Canada Customs - Importing Goods Guiedlines.

One suggestion; be honest with the Canada Customs people. If you try to pull one over on them and get caught, you will pay!!!

Actually, I think the question was taking parts from Canada to US. In this case he will have to deal with US Customs. I am not sure what is required. I would think you can find the information in the US Customs website.

Here is a link to the US Customs site regarding importing vehicles or parts

US Customs

Does anyone know the correct form to fill when bringing parts into the U.S from Canada? Im talking about the one they would nail you for whatever fee at the border when bringing it across yourself to ship to someone you sold it to.

Where can I download it?
You don't need any forms. If the company sends it UPS then UPS makes you pay all the government fees. If the parts come from a private person, the customs will look it over and send you a "please pay now" in the mail. If it comes by mail from a company, then the post office collects the government fees when you go to pick it up. I have found no legal way to keep the government from robbing you when importing parts.

All I have ever been asked is, "are you bringing anything with you that you are leaving in the U.S.?) My answer has always been no. So they let me go on my merry way. You might want to check with the U.S Customs people at the border crossing that you are going to use. Most times they will just say don't worry about it as long as you declare it.

Jack

-
Back