FOUND 65 Dart 904 Ball and Trunnion Boot/CV Boot

-

sgrip65

66 Dart GT 273, 65 Dart GT 273 HiPo
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Members. I am looking for a cross-reference between a 65 Dart Ball and Trunnion Boot with a CV boot. I understand that some CV Boots will work on the Early A Ball and Trunnion Drive Shafts. Can anyone help me with this question? Thanks FABO. sgrip65

I took a Volkswagen bug shaft boot and put it on my 64 dart from the junk yard.

We found one that worked after trimming both ends off. It is made by TRW Federal-Mogul chassis products part number 15114. I just bought a packet of CV joint grease to pack it with!"
routt-driveshaftboot.jpg

Randy adds: "There is a piece that must be trimmed off of the assembly bellows seal first to work on the driveshaft. It is too small to fit on the driveshaft and becomes evident once you look at it. The CV seal is much easier to work than old stiff NOS seals. But if you press the cross shaft out, be sure you center it when re-installing it or a new one as a vibration will result from the cross shaft being off any. We had replaced a boot on a 1965 Valiant with a NOS seal, no picnic as the seal was stiff and expensive(on eBay). I tried part number 15114 on my 1963 Belvedere and wouldn't have had to press the cross shaft had it (the shaft) not been worn. The NOS boot we put on the Valiant was so stiff it wouldn't fit over the cross shaft."
Gerry Peters adds: "I installed a Dorman 614 002 universal cv boot kit; the big end fits perfect, the small end has to be stretched a lot: stuff the entire boot through the trunion and do it on warm day or with a heater blowing on the driveshaft. The boot is not rubber but a silicone. I had to buy a boot clamp tool for $10. The result even looks like the factory piece, other then the grey color."
Gary 413 notes that he used a Volkswagen split boot on a Ball and Trunion driveshaft.
from here; 1962 - 1965 Mopar Technical Tips and Links

Eliminate it with a ujoint adapter like transfer cases use. I forget the technical name even though I have one on my shelf.

We found one that worked after trimming both ends off. It is made by TRW Federal-Mogul chassis products part number 15114. I just bought a packet of CV joint grease to pack it with!" View attachment 1715356795
Randy adds: "There is a piece that must be trimmed off of the assembly bellows seal first to work on the driveshaft. It is too small to fit on the driveshaft and becomes evident once you look at it. The CV seal is much easier to work than old stiff NOS seals. But if you press the cross shaft out, be sure you center it when re-installing it or a new one as a vibration will result from the cross shaft being off any. We had replaced a boot on a 1965 Valiant with a NOS seal, no picnic as the seal was stiff and expensive(on eBay). I tried part number 15114 on my 1963 Belvedere and wouldn't have had to press the cross shaft had it (the shaft) not been worn. The NOS boot we put on the Valiant was so stiff it wouldn't fit over the cross shaft."
Gerry Peters adds: "I installed a Dorman 614 002 universal cv boot kit; the big end fits perfect, the small end has to be stretched a lot: stuff the entire boot through the trunion and do it on warm day or with a heater blowing on the driveshaft. The boot is not rubber but a silicone. I had to buy a boot clamp tool for $10. The result even looks like the factory piece, other then the grey color."
Gary 413 notes that he used a Volkswagen split boot on a Ball and Trunion driveshaft.
from here; 1962 - 1965 Mopar Technical Tips and Links

Thank you for the detailed information along with the type of boot to purchase. I see an entire kit costs, in some cases, beyond $100.00 plus. Another member suggested the CV boot, and your response confirms. Thanks again. sgri65

-
Back