Found a 360 today

-

66dartman

Reaction score
I found a complete 360 with a 904 on Craigslist and bought both today for $180. Couldn't pass them up! The 360 has a date casting of 12-7-70 so I think it must be a 71. I plan to pull a head first thing in the am to see if it's std bore(hope hope hope). Can the early blocks take 060 overbore if it's already been 030?

I found a complete 360 with a 904 on Craigslist and bought both today for $180. Couldn't pass them up! The 360 has a date casting of 12-7-70 so I think it must be a 71. I plan to pull a head first thing in the am to see if it's std bore(hope hope hope). Can the early blocks take 060 overbore if it's already been 030?

Sounds like a swinging deal! Yeah, I believe the 360`s can go .060 over without much ado.

Should have J heads too. Sounds like a GREAT deal

Great deal!!! I'd have any block sonic checked regardless of year, unless it's just a street cruiser.

Well.......I don't have to worry. It's already 060! Oh well, sometimes you swing and miss. I may be able to just hone it and use it for a race block with gapless rings or something. Had 1 pushrod through a rocker arm but the cyls look okay. At least I got a 904 core out of the deal. Heads are later model smoggers, they might be useful for a future street motor.

I wouldn't pitch the block just yet. '71s were cast using the 340 water jacket cores which means your block will take as much of an overbore as a 340. They would go .060" over, so the math says you still have .040" to play with. Think of your 360 as a 340 with an .020" overbore. Sounds better already don't it?

You should be able do it as a 416, no problem, but sonic test the block to be sure.
Chances are that the cylinders may hone the additional .010 to attain the @ 4.070 final bore for a 416, which is the same bore as a .030 over 340.

Mark.

Well.......I don't have to worry. It's already 060! Oh well, sometimes you swing and miss. I may be able to just hone it and use it for a race block with gapless rings or something. Had 1 pushrod through a rocker arm but the cyls look okay. At least I got a 904 core out of the deal. Heads are later model smoggers, they might be useful for a future street motor.

Have it sonic checked anyway. It would be interesting to see if like grumpus said, it was built extra thick.

You could always have it sleeved and nitrous the heck out of it. Sleeved should be stronger than stock if done correctly. I know a couple good machine shops out here if you need it.

.070 on a 360 should be fine.imo

A block with 8 holes sleeved costs quite a bit, I think it's around $75 a hole for most people.

Nope, it's not cheap, but that usually includes boring and honing too which would have to be done anyway.

Thanks guys! That 4.070 sounds like something to check into. I will have it sonic checked for sure. Hey Ramcharger, one of those shops isn't The Block Shop, is it? Joe over there has done really good work for myself and others and he is Mopar friendly too.

I've heard good things about those guys but I've never used them.

I was thinking of DC Racing here in Denver, http://www.dcengines.com/ and Madcap Racing http://www.madcapracing.com/ in Lakewood.

Dave Capriotti of DC Racing knows his stuff and their prices were very reasonable. All the work he did for me was top notch and he's a personable guy too. He even invited me into his dyno room when he was making pulls on an engine he had just built.

He was out the public eye for awhile while he served out an exclusive contract for a Busch racing team. He's back now and thanks to the big contract he now has mutiple dyno rooms in his shop. Madcap also knows their stuff but they are expensive and there is a very long waiting list to get anything done.

-
Back