Found it !!!! choke heater switch

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
My pops told me about these. He said his old malibu wagon had one years ago. I cant remember if he added it in, or it was factory, but i could never seem to find a specific application to get a part number. What it basically is, is a switch that uses oil pressure to close 2 contacts in the switch.

You wire your electric choke thru the switch, and put a Tee fitting off your oil pressure sender port on the block to mount it along with your oil pressure sender to the engine. When car is not running and you rotate the key to the on position your electric choke will not get power because the choke switch is in the relaxed or open position since theres no oil pressure to close it. When you fire up the engine, the switch gets oil pressure and closes the contacts providing power to the electric choke.

Prevents you from forgetting and leaving your key in the on position while doing something and heating up the electric choke. Very simple but effective idea thats easy to install.

Going to buy one this week, and finish up my wiring mock up.

Screenshot_2017-08-03-18-31-15.png

Screenshot_2017-08-03-18-31-30.png

Last edited:
No prob steve, just sharing the knowledge. I been looking for this little devil for years. Could never find a dedicated application to buy one from the auto parts store. Then the auto parts counter help look at you like you just talked to them in a foreign language. Choke switch whats that ?

Last edited:
GM used oil pressure switches as a back-up for fuel pump power for many years on all throttle body applications, in case fuel pump relay failed. @ '87 up. Could be used to power anything for KOER use.

Marine low oil pressure safety shut-off switches are also out there. Surely they can do the same for a choke.

Forgot about this, but finally ordered one off ebay for $10 shipped. I need to get a brass tee, and short threaded brass tube to install so i can hook up my oil psi sender too.

It finally came in the mail the other day. Will have to get a brass tee, and a short piece of brass threaded tube to plumb this in with an oil pressure gage. I checked it with my ohm meter. Shows open across both contacts with no pressure.

It finally came in the mail the other day. Will have to get a brass tee, and a short piece of brass threaded tube to plumb this in with an oil pressure gage. I checked it with my ohm meter. Shows open across both contacts with no pressure.
Mat, did you finish this up and if so have you any pics? Getting ready to install ld4b and edelbrock and need electric choke source.

Mat, did you finish this up and if so have you any pics? Getting ready to install ld4b and edelbrock and need electric choke source.

Normally the source for an electric choke is the ignition system being turned on.
The switch Matt is adding is just to keep the choke from getting power until the engine is running in case he wants to (or accidentally) leaves the key on for any amount of time without the engine running.

My personal opinion on that is that it won't be a lot of benefit, because the electric chokes have power to them all the time the engine is running anyway so they are built to be powered for extended periods of time.
About the only thing it will do is lessen the power drain if the key is left on without the engine running.
To me, the extra plumbing and connections wouldn't be worth that.

Sorry Matt. :D

To each their own. I plan on plumbing it in anyways. Have not gotten to it yet. Switch is on the shelf for now.

Its really not about lessening the power drain. Its more about forgetting and having the key in the on position with the engine cold not running, and the choke opening up. Its basically a failsafe.

My dads 79 lil red express had a tee off the oil pressure feed from the factory. One side went to the gage, the other side went to a 3 pin switch for emissions timing, about the size of this one.

-
Back