Found it!

-

baucco

Reaction score
So,we got to drive the Barracuda for an hour on Saturday and when we pulled into the garage,we were leaking gas everywhere! Come to find out,the fuel filler neck grommet was rotten. I called everyone in town and no one could find one for the 64. The Chrysler dealer had one for the 67 up but nothing lower. I wasn't sure if that would fit so I kept looking. Called all the gas tank suppliers,radiator shops,nothing. Finally,someone mentioned the Paddock,and they just happen to be nearby. I gave them a call and they just this month started carying the correct grommet for 17.00$. The part # isQE473 and fits 63-66 A bodies. So,hopefully,this won't happen to you but if it does,you won't have the headaches I had from it!

So,we got to drive the Barracuda for an hour on Saturday and when we pulled into the garage,we were leaking gas everywhere! Come to find out,the fuel filler neck grommet was rotten. I called everyone in town and no one could find one for the 64. The Chrysler dealer had one for the 67 up but nothing lower. I wasn't sure if that would fit so I kept looking. Called all the gas tank suppliers,radiator shops,nothing. Finally,someone mentioned the Paddock,and they just happen to be nearby. I gave them a call and they just this month started carying the correct grommet for 17.00$. The part # isQE473 and fits 63-66 A bodies. So,hopefully,this won't happen to you but if it does,you won't have the headaches I had from it!

Well, Thanks for the info, baucco. Hope I can find it when I need it - or maybe I should just order three of 'em against future need.

Also, Thank whichever deities you prefer for no sparks or flames on your tour route!

This is the second time this year I've been driving down the road,smoking and flipping ash out the window while I leave behind a trail of potential flaming death. Makes me feel like they're just saving me for something really brutal!

Well, Bubba, this is going to sound terribly crass and self interested. I'll take that risk and say that I'm hoping you don't do that in my neighborhood, the hill country of central Texas. I do carry a fire extinguisher in the ragtop, but with the magnitude of the spectacle you imply might just have me staring in awe!!!

hehe i just saw on mythbusters they tested the old "hole in the gas tank - flaming trail of gas" myth and its basically busted. you have to be creeping along under 5mph for the burning gas to catch up with the car. the faster your going the less gas is being laid down anyway so it slows even more. also they tested the tank explosion and couldn't get it to explode, the gas just burned inside the tank.
of course i still can't quite get up the stones to smoke around the gas tank.
-tim

Hiya ragtop. Don't worry,I never actually pitch my butts out the window,and in cases of extreme drought or even impending dryness i would certainly take the safety of others into consideration.Frying my own bacon is one thing,but cooking somebody else is another entirely. I was just dumb and lucky.

-
Back