Found locking gas petrol cap for '71 Swinger

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
Not sure if it was just me or what, but all the locking petrol caps that the local parts store looked up came up with one of the following: They did not show anything in their system or book for a '71 or earlier Dart. Only '72 up.

Or, they showed something in their system, when you put it on the car the cap just flopped around and had not tension on it. The locking mechanisme was not close enough to the cap to keep tension on it so you just sort of hung there.

AutoZone and Pepboys both had caps this way. Makes me think that these were perhaps really for '72 up and mistakenly listed for a '71 or my filler pipe is some sort of oddball replacement or, as the car was originally made for and in California that the pipe was different.

Anyway, boils down to trying a few caps and finding that a 11592 Stant locking cap (found at Checker/Kragen for like $14 or so) goes on and the seal keeps enough tension on the cap to keep it tight. Well, at least on our Dart.

I know the cap looks like a terrible old chrome generic locking cap instead of the nice twist on with the handle sticking out, but with petrol at $2.80 something and projections of close to $4 or over here in NM for next summer I think a locking cap might just keep the honest people honest.

Hope that helps someone having perhaps the same problem finding a locking cap.

Cheers

Is the cap vented? Don't know if your tank has a dedicated vent or is vented through the cap. If you use a cap that isn't vented on a car that needs a vented cap you're going to have problems.

recently my brother and i put locking caps on several vehicles we were
coming up short on.
when they discovered they nolonger could steal fuel, they keyed the sides
of the trucks.
sometimes i think a fence, a mean dog, and a owner with a twitchy trigger
finger couldn't detour a thief. :sad8:

Found my old post on this with the part number I bought. Still seems to be working okay.

Hope that helps.

california emmision cars for 71 have a different ( 1 year only ) filler neck. the only way to get the proper cap is to have another 71 california cap or change the filler neck to a non california emmisions neck. any dart scamp duster demon or dart sport will work as the necks are the same. remember 1973 necks have a different curve in the trunk for added clearence as well. this is what i ended up doing on my wifes......

-
Back