Found more rust, what should I do?

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
Found more rust, what should I do?

This is what I have on the passenger side rear quarter:
000_0027.jpg

But now I found a small bubble under the paint on the driver's side, it is small, but I was able to poke the tip of a pen through it.

Should I replace the whole lower quarter, or should I just patch and weld it. I am worried about rust comong back. I was going to just cut a few squares out, then coating the inside of the well with rust converter, then sealing it with encapsulator, then paint. Will this work or should I chop out the whole bottom. There is no buildup of crud in the trunk wells, they are clean, so I am thinking that these started from external riock chips and spread.

It depends on where the car is kept and used for .if its garaged and summer use no rain that the rust sealer and filler, paint .if daily driven cut weld replace.I did the bubble repair on the scamp cheap way.Also ck behind the panel if dirt or crap is built up it holds water and causes rust.

That patch job looks good,inexpensive too,when I did my dart patches,I bought whole quarter skins and cut patches out of them, if you can hand form youre own thats great.Look forward to a pic when its finished!

Flyboy, I would plan on replacing a good portoin of that quarter. Once you take a grinder to that filler I bet you find more rust.

I am going to start cutting next week, once I determine how bad it is, I will make my decision. I found the cause on the right side, I puller the drain plug and found a mud wasp nest blocking the opening. I will probably just replace the bottom 6" if its real bad.

Today I pulled everything out from underneath the back end of the car, I am going to clean, wirebrush, sand, paint, and reassemble the rear end this week. I am also going to treat and primer the underside of the car so it is ready for paint. I just got the rear brakes rebuilt and reassembled, the parking brakes are now working again, and I have new stainless braided lines, and the drums were stripped, turned, and painted.

After I get the rear back under the car, I am going to get started on the rear quarters and evaluate what needs to be done next. Then on to the rest of the bodywork and I will get it sanded down and ready for paint.

-
Back