Found my water leak

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Ok so I have finally found my water leak. I thought it was coming from the air box so I carefully cleaned the relatively clean cowl section, not a thing in there now, but I still have a leak. The leak is actually coming in around the heater inlet tube. Kind of hard to explain. On each side of the car there is an air box. That air box has what appears to be about a 4 or 5 inch diameter tube that goes up to the cowl. The water runs down the outside of that tube and pools on the floor below. There appears to be a sealant of some sort on the inside but it is cracked. Can I just use something like silicon sealant or is there something special?

There is a foam seal for each air box to the cowl. I used some 1/4" weather stripping I got from Home Depot to make new ones and sealed with black silicone.

Here is a link that shows the same repair on a early Barracuda
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=82921

l_43eb65e7243248f99025c1f808c04832.jpg

l_fcf91231967949d18b82f5ba474ef0fc.jpg

l_a8d5b67ea85c40de8b7f56828865153a.jpg

rob_robinson87 It is not leaking into the airbox, although I thought it was, it was leaking around the end of the airbox down the side.

I love the pictures though VERY informative. Stupid question though. To get into the cowl do you drill the welds out or is it screwed/bolted?

They are spot welded... big job... I still don't understand how you say they are leaking around the end of the airbox down the side... is there a seam there? Even without the airbox in place, no water should come in. (if we are still talking about the same area).

Just for fun.. another link
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=79947

Are you calling the cowl area (the metal part shown in these photos) as the airbox? Or the plastic items that attach under the holes?

In the third picture you posted before after he painted it orange. I am referring to that area. I assume I have a spot that is either rusted or poorly welded or something there. I understand to fix it I have to take apart the cowl. Thats not in my budget but the window insulation trick will work for now.

You have crap in there, allowing water to rise above the boxes rim. Open the hood, right behind the hinge is a little flanged up hole. Put water or air in cowl, and juke that hole with a piece of wire; both sides.

AH, yes, I understand now. I bet you could at least seal the "hole" to keep water from water in. If you have the time and ablity to pull the plastic box off, you may be able to get some fiberglass in there and stop the drip. I would be concerned that a good hard rain would fill the vent box up and leak on your carpet.

Rob

I pulled the box the other night. That was one hell of a pain in the ***. What I did was clean and paint the box and replaced the seal around the cowl. It seals nicely now. I did not see any obvious rot and damaged area in there so I would not know where to try and fix. I think I will be ok wil the window seal at least for a while.

-
Back