Found why valve covers continually leak

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
My problematic valve covers that have been leaking continually? I put a straight edge on the head and I could slide a penny under it. Maybe that's why the factory uses stamped steel, so the metal can conform. My aluminum covers have no bend of course. I had to use a lot of silicone, but they are sealed.

Yup-had the same issue on my engine,the rails of my fab'd aluminum v/c's was too flat to conform to the distorted surface on the heads.I like to normally leave the underside of the gaskets dry so I can re-use them.but not this time!

The Mopar specialty as-cast gasket mating surface doesn't help either.

I am a silicone hater. I would rather let the gasket do it's job, but that theory flew out the window. The is an a**-load of silicone on them now. No leaks, though.

This past winter I took my fabbed aluminum covers and trued them all up to within about .003" of being perfect. Thought for sure that would stop my leaks - nope! Measured the Indy head edges and they are pretty true. I just give up! I've tried every gasket known to man, sealed one side with Rv, sealed both sides with Rv - nothing stops it. I have come to the conclusion that with the large puddle of oil that stays on the bottom of these Indy heads, keeping the bottom edge submerged all the time, they are just going to leak - seep if nothing else. The heads need some return holes in the bottom, somehow. Last gaskets I put on were plain cork. With the flat bottom fabbed covers I can see the gasket all around. Totally saturated cork all along the bottom while the top side is dry as a popcorn fart.

This past winter I took my fabbed aluminum covers and trued them all up to within about .003" of being perfect. Thought for sure that would stop my leaks - nope! Measured the Indy head edges and they are pretty true. I just give up! I've tried every gasket known to man, sealed one side with Rv, sealed both sides with Rv - nothing stops it. I have come to the conclusion that with the large puddle of oil that stays on the bottom of these Indy heads, keeping the bottom edge submerged all the time, they are just going to leak - seep if nothing else. The heads need some return holes in the bottom, somehow. Last gaskets I put on were plain cork. With the flat bottom fabbed covers I can see the gasket all around. Totally saturated cork all along the bottom while the top side is dry as a popcorn fart.

Perhaps try using an oil resistant silicone, not the red or blue stuff but the black stuff that is specifically designed for rear ends and such. That might help after you set it and let it cure for 24 hours. Just a suggestion.:thumblef:

-
Back