Foward and Reverse shifters?

-

RPMLegends18

Reaction score
I was looking at shifters on Summit and there are two types, one is foward and one is reverse. Im am putting a console shifter and it doesnt seem right. Because when its in 1st the lever in the car is pointing towards the rear and when its in park its facing front...But when the shifter is in 1st its all the way pulled back so wouldnt it be pushing the linkange foward??? So this is making me wonder if its a reverse shifting patern..?BTW its a small block 727, thats pretty much all we know of the tranny. It has the hole on top of the flywheel housing so we think its a truck or van tranny.

Sorry for the long post but Im confused,
Ryan

the shift pattern is forward-PRN321 reverse-PRN123. the valve body is what determines how you shift.

no. the manufacturers number will be. it will be a part#. that will designate forward or reverse pattern.

Im sorry but I dont think I fully understand, so that is the part number stamped or cast into the valve body or is that on the tranny case?

a valve body can be stock or aftermarket. cheetahs by turbo action is the most popular. their part # is etched into it to identify them.

Stupid me, see I thought the pivot point on the shifter was in the middle and the linkage was connected to the bottom, and thats were I got when in park the lever should be facing back, but the linkage is connected to the middle and whatever way the shifter is going the linkage is going that way too...well you learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

-
Back