Frame Bracing 73 Duster

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 73 Duster I am building and at this point I need to put subframe connectors on and also going to do torque boxes.

I have some 1/8 steel that I’m gonna use to make my torque boxes and was planning on doing 1.5x3 homemade connectors. I got to thanking and looking and I have the full qa1 subframe and it’s tubing so I think it would look better if I made my sfc out of tubbing instead of 1.5x3.

Any input or pictures guys would also like pics of homemade ones out of 1.5x3

Info on the car hopped up 360 with possible power adder 4 speed and will see many many many clutch dumps and will get the hell beat out of it yes I know this is going to cause problems

Yep this is a good place to save money and add performance.
Do it yourself.

So Ive been thinking about chassis reinforcement and I was wondering how well sub-frame connectors and torque boxes made of sheetmetal would work.I see alot of homemade chassis reinforcement and they use 1/8" thick wall or better.Coming from my extensive offroad experience I rarely if ever use metal thicker than 1/8" for ANYTHING less than 5k lbs simply because the strength to weight ratio simply isnt there.Heck 1/8" 1x3 square tube makes pretty good rock sliders up until 5K lbs,and thats with the entire weight of the vehicle crashing down on the siders..In addition to offroading I also like keeping all of my vehicles as light as possible, I've even gone so far as to strip a wiring harness to remove 1 lb of unused wires.

-
Back