Frame Connectors

-

69Dart

Reaction score
We made the frame connectors for my son's 68 Dart out of 2"X3"X.125 wall steel..The are ready to be put in but the motor and tranny is currently out of the car...Should the motor/tranny be in the car so that the car is sitting where it will be at the end???? Didnt want to weld in the connectors and have things change once the are is weight'd down

Thanks
Rick

i believe you'll get best results by putting the car on jack stands. if i read it right, it un-stresses the chassis. put it on stands and try closing your doors. if they close better, weld `em up. if they close harder, move the stands closer to center of car until doors close nicely.

Weld them in while the car is on it's tires. The car was built to carry the load this way, you just want to strengthen it. There are some people that if they are making a circle track car will jack up one corner to pre-load the chassis for turning left. The problem with preloading the chassis is if it's wrong you are stuck with it. When I build chassis' I leave them neutral. Loading can be done with suspension setups if you need a pre-load.

Chuck

Chuck

As long as the weight of the car is on the suspension and the car is level it I dont see why it needs to be on the tires. in other words up high on jacks with them placed under the rear and lower control arms. If the motor isnt in the car I would find away to put some weight up front. Just make sure the car is level and not twisted.

This is what I meant, put the load like it was sitting on the tires.

I have a drive-on hoist so I can get under the car while it is on the tires, should have realized that guys that don't have a hoist need to get under the car somehow, like on stands.

Chuck

We are going to put the 383/4 speed in the car this weekend so that it will be loaded...Once the connectors are welded in place the motor/tranny comes back out to finish the engine bay. Right now the car looks like one of the old gassers with the straight front axles...the front end is up in the air with no weight in it... I bet it settles down when the BB and tranny goes in..dont ya think???

Rick and Rickey Jr.

i cant wait to do this to my car, my dad has a frame machine hopefully i can put it up on there sometime and do this, good info btw:)

-
Back