Frame Issues: Need Help!

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Apprently there is a frame issue with my 74 Duster. Back in the summer when I got new tires and wheels put on I noticed it needed an alignment. when I took it back they said they couldn't do it. It would be pointless. Because the drivers side fram is rusted. They said the frame needed to be welded. It would have been impossible to weld it up because the engine was in the way. So we pulled the engine and thought might as well rebuild it. And thats what is getting done now, but something needs to be done with the frame. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like the frame is pulling away just a tad. The drivers and passenger side are not 100% identical. So my question is this, my friend can weld the rusted spots but would I have to take it to a frame shop without the engine. Does it need adjustment or something like that? Or just do the welding then take it to a frame shop after the engine is back in. Or even weld then just take it for an alignment. That way I don't have a huge towing bill. I have heard this is common with A-Bodys. Anyone here been through this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Get your frame patch welded on, then put the motor back in, then get an alignment again. If it won't align, a frame shop should be able to straighten it with the engine in. Sounds kinda weird to me though. Maybe there's something else wrong that won't allow it to align?

I had bent lower control arms on my car and you couldn't tell. The strut rods or whatever you call them were pushed back into the K-frame mounting locations too. Had to have the k-frame pulled out a bit and the lower control arms replaced.

Hope this helps.

If you want to play it safe call the frame shop and see if they want the engine in or not and let them fix it. i had a similar problem with a hole in the frame on my 74 duster. i just cut the bad out and patched it up with new metal

Hey "zakimodo" - did that solve the problem when you patched the holes? Becasue the drivers fender has a decent hole in it. I am thinking of just having it welded. Then after getting everything back in, take it someplace to get align. But I will check around to see what they suggest. Thanks for your everyones help.

Well it seemed to work i got rid of the hole and the rust, and it looks good. i dont have the car on the road yet so only time will tell about my patch job.

-
Back