Frame Rails Project

-

Bampy

Reaction score
I am a new member to the Mopar community, and just got my first hot rod with four wheels. a 1970 dart swinger 340 four speed H code. will be placing on a rotisserie and attempting to change out the frame rails any and all tips are greatly appreciated.

I am a new member to the Mopar community, and just got my first hot rod with four wheels. a 1970 dart swinger 340 four speed H code. will be placing on a rotisserie and attempting to change out the frame rails any and all tips are greatly appreciated.
The frame rails are made of high strength steel, and would think as far back as 1970.
Do not over weld on the frame it will weaken it.
Not sure if you have to section any part of the frame and you probably know that already but just a heads up.

before you cut out the old stuff, bolt or weld in bracing to keep everything straight. you can find all kinds of pics online for ideas

I replaced left frame rail in my 65 Dart/vert Magnum 4spd swap project.
I bolted what and where I could first to hold in place. Then spot welded more than factory and kept some bolts in.
And used a bolt 3/4" with nut going through rail and crossmember with back plate and 2" square tube which fits between cross member perfectly for xtra support.

Dave

The frame rails are made of high strength steel, and would think as far back as 1970.
Do not over weld on the frame it will weaken it.
Not sure if you have to section any part of the frame and you probably know that already but just a heads up.

Nope. Welding on the frame rails is fine, they are not high strength steel, and the factory welded on them plenty.

You don’t want to change out the rails on a rotisserie. How would you support the car on the rotisserie?

You want to put the chassis on a frame table (ideally), or at least set it up so that it’s level. Then you can check all the diagonals against the factory chassis specs. If you don’t have the factory chassis specs you can download the factory service manuals at mymopar.com.

Bracing the chassis before you remove and replace the rail is good, but you still have to measure everything before and after to do it right.

I built a rolling setup for my car. Unknowingly, I also built a jig that holds the frame rail in the front. This, leveled, with sufficent bracing should suffice for myself. I am doing tbar member and floor at the same time as driver rail
289E89DB-0EF0-47C0-BED0-73229A4FDFF2.jpeg

Nope. Welding on the frame rails is fine, they are not high strength steel, and the factory welded on them plenty.

You don’t want to change out the rails on a rotisserie. How would you support the car on the rotisserie?

You want to put the chassis on a frame table (ideally), or at least set it up so that it’s level. Then you can check all the diagonals against the factory chassis specs. If you don’t have the factory chassis specs you can download the factory service manuals at mymopar.com.

Bracing the chassis before you remove and replace the rail is good, but you still have to measure everything before and after to do it right.

Thanks for the heads up, never even thought about what the rotisserie bolts to. your right a frame table or equivalent, than maybe get on a spinner for the rest.

-
Back