Frame Reinforcing Bracket

-

monatoad

Reaction score
I posted this in transmission/drivetrain originally but it looks like I will get more help overe here.

I'm talking about the bracket that attaches to the frame and goes through the inner fender. This provides reinforcing for the ball stud. My car had all this but it was all hacked up as the previous owner tried to remove it when they went to auto transmission. Also cut a nice sized hole into the inner fender so I'm not sure where new would would line up.
My question is, when i get a new bracket what is the best method to mount it. Do i simply line it up with the hole thats there, weld it in and it';s good enough? or does it have to be perfectly aligned. Does someone have a picture of it that could maybe help or dimensions.

Another random/easy question. Is there a brace that goes under the transmission to provide support? I'd assume yes, but wasn't 100% sure.
Thanks!

The factory welded then to the inner fenders. Not solid just a short seam on each side.

FB676.jpg

Thanks.

Does it matter how precise the location of it is. Horizontally and vertically speaking.

Yes, The top hole is were the Z Bar stud goes. There should be a hole there all ready, or if an auto car it will be stamped but not punched out. Of coarse you said yours was hacked so you'll need a measurement.

Also, the lower holes were plug welded to the frame rail.

Thanks, I didn't know about the bottom holes being plug welded. I'm not even sure what that means. But I'm sure my friend who's going to do the welding will have an idea.

Can anyone take measurements or have them handy so I dont get this in the wrong spot? No hurry, It probably wont be on the list to get done untill spring as I'm going to be shelving the project soon for the winter and focus on getting the 340 back together.

Does anyone have this bracket and ball stud? I'm looking to buy the pair as mine were destroyed. Thanks again

Any help? Someone must be able to give me a dimension. There are a bunch of 4-speeds out there.

I'm going to be taking a better look at it tomorrow night and maybe there's enough there for me to figure something out.

I can probably get the measurement in the morning if I dont forget, LOL

Thanks. That would be great.

And if you do forget then no big deal, there are other days. I've forgetten to do things I've promised myself 100 times I wouldn't. I get in a hurry some mornings and forget everything.

Thanks for all the measurements, I should have no problem spotting it now. Is there a measurement straight down from the bottom of the bracket to the bottom of the frame (going perpendicular)?

-
Back