Free 8-3/4/ Is it worth it?

-

willyj

Reaction score
It was out of a Challenger.

Its missing the shafts. Has to have the carrier put back in and was sitting behind a garage in the open the last couple of years.

Its free and i would like to know if it would fit in my 66 BC without much modification.

I want to swap out the 7-1/4 for something else. Im looking for easy installation and low buck. Eventually i want to run 4 wheel disc brakes and a 16 or 17 in rim.

Any advice sure would be appreciated.

Don't know too much about e body rear end swaps. I know that you can put a B body rear in an A body after modifying the perches. This puts your tires an extra inch or 2 outside, so you need to back space your wheels. I had a guy in Suckramento take a C body rear and shorten it for me. I actually just bought a 489 with 3.23's on ebay for $100. There's a book on Chrysler performance mods that I have at the house. I'll see what the size differences are between E and C.

Stu

The E-body width is way to wide to fit an A-body without narrowing. When I checked, Moser would narrow the rearend for $100 and shorten/respline the axles for another $100 + shippng costs. But since you mentioned you don't have axles, you'd have to buy those also. Unless the 3rd member is a 742 or 489 case with good gears and a "working" sure-grip, I think your better off buying a complete rearend. My .02 worth. :drinkers:

if its free take it and hang onto it. clean it up and sell it to pay part of what you need. Never give up a free part!

-RPM

That is a great piece of Info!!! Kudos to you. Paired with my junk yard spotters sheet for the axle houseings I now know exactly what to look for!

Thanks again.

Hey RPM. Your right. I will save the axle. good bargain tool later.

-
Back