Freeze plug advise.

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
Got my 383 out of my dart right now and i have a freeze plug rotted out on the passenger side. Its rusted thru and started leaking. what do you guys like to use? Brass, Steel? when you install them do you use sealant? if so what kind? I am embarrassed to say that i have never installed a freeze plug. any advise would be great.

I ALWAYS use BRASS!!! I think the brand is Dorman?

And I use a "little" Permatex ....

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Make sure you get deep ones. The regular depth ones are very easy to put it crooked. The deeps ones go in straighter and have more sealing surface area.

Make sure you get deep ones. The regular depth ones are very easy to put it crooked. The deeps ones go in straighter and have more sealing surface area.

I agree, and definitely change all of them while the engine is out. I bought a set from Summit that were the brass deep ones. Just remember when installing that the deep ones will stick out slightly more than the stock ones. They won't stick out past the block but further then the stock ones. I just didn't want them sticking inside the block and blocking the water jacket.

And I used just a little Permatex. No issues since!

When installing them use a socket just smaller than the inside of the cup plug to drive it in.

Put it in straight...

Get the edge lip of the plug just below the chamfer in the hole...

Put loctite or some sealer on it, or use the powder stop leak in the radiator to seal them afterwards.

-
Back