Status
Not open for further replies.

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a fresh air vent door and hinge, preferably for the right side for a heater delete box. I realize that's asking for a a basically non-existent part so I will consider a left side door/hinge if the part is in good condition. The hinge and door measure 4 1/4" high. I have the vent already, just looking for the door/hinge.

I also realize I can go to the hardware store and get a $3.00 hinge but I'd rather have the correct part if possible.

Please PM with detailed pics, description and price + shipping to Huntington, NY 11743.

See pic below for reference!

- Greg

Attachments

• heater delete door.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 495
I'm pretty sure I read on here somewhere that you can modify a left vent for the right side........If I can find the post/thread, I'll post a link.

I'm pretty sure I read on here somewhere that you can modify a left vent for the right side........If I can find the post/thread, I'll post a link.

I already have the correct heater delete vent box, (see pic) I just need the door and hinge for it. I re-read the text in the ad and thought it may have been a little misleading so I changed it.

Thanks for the bump.

Those doors are not the same shape or measurements from the left to the right. It may be possible to modify the hinge, but it won't be bolt on. Good Luck!

Those doors are not the same shape or measurements from the left to the right. It may be possible to modify the hinge, but it won't bee bolt on. Good Luck!

Really? I thought the early A driver's side vent door was a mirror of the right side? Unfortunately, I don't have one to compare it to.

I know the door on the regular right side integrated heater/vent is totally different but the door for the early A driver's side vent looks the same to me. :dontknow:

Really? I thought the early A driver's side vent door was a mirror of the right side? Unfortunately, I don't have one to compare it to.

I know the door on the regular right side integrated heater/vent is totally different but the door for the early A driver's side vent looks the same to me. :dontknow:

x2
Here are some measurements to compare to. 4 5/16 tall 6 3/16 wide.

Attachments

• 2013-08-22_19-54-00_690.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 2013-08-22_19-54-59_627.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 238
heatdeletebox.jpg

abodyvent1.jpg

I have a right side door, that still has hinges. I bought it at Nats last year to get the swivel handle off of it (my Swinger has the door, but missing the handle). It is not rounded, like your first picture shows, more like the last picture. Will try to post picture tonight/tomorrow.

I had the idea that the 63-66 A bodies had a rounded left side door like posted above by 2manymopars. Perhaps the factory changed them at some point to the more squared-off type. I don't know.

The one on the bottom looks like any 67-up left side vent, hence the uncertainty.

Can your door not be repaired?

I suppose it could be repaired but it is not going to be easy, it's all twisted up. The hinge would have to be removed and straightened out. Then, I'd have to figure out some way to re-attach the door to the hinge. It could probably be JB welded it or something, it's not a high use part.

I'm tried to come up with a way to do it without handling the box more than necessary but nothing is obvious to me at the moment. Drilling those rivets out without completely destroying things is not gonna be easy.

Attachments

• IMG_9732 (800x600).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_9733 (800x600).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_9734 (800x600).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_9735 (800x600).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 198
I suppose it could be repaired but it is not going to be easy, it's all twisted up. The hinge would have to be removed and straightened out. Then, I'd have to figure out some way to re-attach the door to the hinge. It could probably be JB welded it or something, it's not a high use part.

I'm tried to come up with a way to do it without handling the box more than necessary but nothing is obvious to me at the moment. Drilling those rivets out without completely destroying things is not gonna be easy.

I just finished doing a drivers side vent door. I drilled out the rivet on top and bottom. (don't loose those pesky concave washers that tension the door if going back original.) I mig'ed the small parts(actually I used a copper pipe backer and rebuilt/welded the whole end and then ground it to the shape I needed) back together after straightening them up and making sure it aligned. then just pop riveted it back. I didn't worry about the concave washers since I used a steel rivet instead of an aluminum one. it snugged up really good, and I put anti seize in there just to help it move.
worked pretty good too!

I clean, paint and sell the heater and air vent doors all the time. Many times the parts I started with were locked up from rust. IF you can get the door off of the fiberglass vent box, you can heat the hinge corners (where the rivets are) to red hot and then let them cool naturally. You will find in most cases that will loosten up the hinge and make it work. A little PB Blast and wire brushing after that will keep them working well.

If the hinge on the drivers side door is the same I would get one and use it with your door. The broken tab on your door could be rewelded after you get things lined up.

I just finished doing a drivers side vent door. I drilled out the rivet on top and bottom. (don't loose those pesky concave washers that tension the door if going back original.) I mig'ed the small parts(actually I used a copper pipe backer and rebuilt/welded the whole end and then ground it to the shape I needed) back together after straightening them up and making sure it aligned. then just pop riveted it back. I didn't worry about the concave washers since I used a steel rivet instead of an aluminum one. it snugged up really good, and I put anti seize in there just to help it move.
worked pretty good too!

I was thinking of welding the pieces of the door back together but they're so thin and delicate I thought it could warp the whole thing. I guess a zap or two at low voltage might be OK. Those little angled corners still have to be separated from the hinge though. I feel like those pieces are going to be mangled beyond use after that operation.

Here's how I think it might go - flatten out the corners of the doors, repair them (reattach) and bend them back. Same thing with the hinge corners. Then obviously just rivet together and back on to the box. Sounds easy enough but probably pretty tricky and time consuming in actual practice.

Replacing the hinge with a good one will save time and effort but I'm still gonna need to figure out something for the door.

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of welding the pieces of the door back together but they're so thin and delicate I thought it could warp the whole thing. I guess a zap or two at low voltage might be OK. Those little angled corners still have to be separated from the hinge though. I feel like those pieces are going to be mangled beyond use after that operation.

Here's how I think it might go - flatten out the corners of the doors, repair them (reattach) and bend them back. Same thing with the hinge corners. Then obviously just rivet together and back on to the box. Sounds easy enough but probably pretty tricky and time consuming in actual practice.

Replacing the hinge with a good one will save time and effort but I'm still gonna need to figure out something for the door.

Thanks for the replies.

It was a bit delicate :D so in the end after I drilled out the rivets. I didn't flatten the piece for fear of making it weaker than it already is, I ended up using a copper backer (1 inch pipe flattened) and stuck it and the copper that was bent into a short L to fit into the door flange in the vise. then I made (using a mig welder ) the new piece where the rivet would go on the door side. I was able to get the hinge side done in the vise without the copper backer (more metal to soak up the heat maybe?) the door side was stuck into the vise and and the copper pipe was sandwiched between the vise and the door part then I drilled it , using the repaired hinge as an alignment tool and popped in a steel rivet. it works pretty good if I do say so. Now all I have to do is the passengers side door fixed too!. I'll try and post pic's of the repair when I get the darn hinge off and ready to weld. I used 5 minute epoxy to reseal the broken out holes on the heater box.
I used a backer plate when I re-riveted the hings back into the drivers side door so it had a bit more strength in that area.

Still looking for a good door/hinge. I put the search on hold for a while to take care of some other things but still need to come up with something.

Again, a left side vent door from an early A will work.

PM with price + shipping to Huntington, NY 11743. Detailed pics help the sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back