Fresh Pro Built Stroked 340

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well hate to see her go. Next stop in a Fish. Thanks Chris pleasure doing biz with ya! Great guy to deal with!

Thanks everyone now lets buy that Duster will ya!

Attachments

• ship 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 158
  • ship 1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 156
Yeah hooo!!! That looks like a pretty good crate job to me. Hope they take care of it.

I will probably run a mechanical water pump with a Moroso drive motor so I can use the Mopar alternator and mounts. Also gonna put those heads and intake (and maybe carb but we'll see after comparing the 830 with whatever flat top Holley is on now) onto the currently installed 340 to see how much better the car does with good airflow. Then after paint work will put the full up stroker in.

Thanks Mackin! He gets a rec from me for being an OK FABO guy!

Hey Mackin, if you don't mind me asking who did you use when you shipped the motor? I am about to pickup a 4speed in FL, and I am trying to get it sent to TX. I checked out Fedex and UPS, but with their weight limits I'd have to ship everything I am getting in two boxes, and I'd much rather get it all in one, so if you could can you provide me with the company you used, and a round about estimate of the cost for shipping the motor? Thanks!

-Alex

Mackin used Fedex and the crate was listed at 500#. I picked it up at the locak Fedex facility - they loaded the crate in back of my PU truck.

That crate Mackin made was a real gem! Packin Mackin!!! It was sturdy as can be and took the ride well, but when the straps were cut the sides came apart easily as assemblies and I just used a come-along to lift the engine/stand/crate bottom off the bed of my truck and drove out from under it. Lowered the assy onto some cinder blocks and now it makes a good workstation.

Already pulled the heads to get the valve spring tensions checked (sat 3 years with the rockers bolted tight) and the ported heads flowed.

BTW, Mackin has a 833 4sp with bell housing and all the stuff to convert an auto A body to 4 speed. I didn't neeed the 4sp stuff so it stayed there.

Airwoofer, you said you had a 360 block right? I was trying to decide on making a 408 or a 416 much like the one you just picked up. I actually was going to see about picking that engine up (with the 4speed) but I saw he had a pending already, and with it being such a good deal I knew it was more then likely going to go through. Anyways back to your 360, was it all standard internals, or was it set up as a stroker?

That 360 is a long block that I got with the fish when I cleaned out my dead buddies sheds. It was greased to preserve the parts. I think it is 0.030 over judging from a quick caliper measurement I made on the bore. Complete to the pan and water pump.

I was gonna try to use it as the basis for a stroker build cause it is a 1971, -1 casting ... but never even started getting it cleaned and checked. We have a good machine shop here in town.

Since Hughes sells prepped blocks they may be the way to go. Not sure if the stroker I bought has a Hughes girdle (build sheet does not list one) but after researching their website it may be best to buy a prepped block from them that is already set up for a girdle. Once the mains are align honed it is too late to convert to a girdle unless the thing had the studs alrerady installed. My parts list does not show studs for the mains but who knows?

I may end up changing the cam in the stroker but will decide after seeing how the heads currently flow and how the springs held up after 3 years with the rockers bolted down. The cam looks new after break in. Might be something to do with it being nitrided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back