From a 73 three speed on the floor to a a833od?

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How easy is the swap? About how much does it cost and what do I need to bolt it to a slant six?

Don't know, I'm an automatic guy. Try posting your question in the Manual Transmission forum since it's a question about a manual trans. You'll likely get a lot more responses there. GL

How easy is the swap? About how much does it cost and what do I need to bolt it to a slant six?

that swap is going to more tricky on a 64 than a later car.

you should have a B and T driveshaft in 64. so your looking at having to have a driveshaft made to fit that has a slip yoke. if its an aluminum OD then it will most likely have the 26 spline output shaft which is no biggie for a six.

you should have a 745 3 speed which is the top loader type. very weak your making a good call to move to an 833.

this is a do-able project but a little trickier bcoz of the early A .

you definately need: an OD bellhousing with the large bearing retainer, OD trans and driveshaft.

one concern i would have but i dont know myself is how the early A z-bar will bolt up to the much later bellhousing. you might have to mock up and possible mods there. i know already that early As had a problem with the Z-bars being kinda weak and they usually break tabs off ...so you might consider making a new Z-bar from a B-body unit that has the thicker tube.

the other concern i would have is the availibility of an early A floor hump ...im not sure anyone makes those like they do for the later cars.

again im not an early A person but i think thats the factor that is going to make this swap interesting..... on a later car (67-76) this same swap is an easy peasy bolty bolt deal.

It's already a 73 trans, so its a slip yolke style instead of the 65 and older ball and trunion bearing. And it already has a 66+ floor hump with the oval hole.

It's already a 73 trans, so its a slip yolke style instead of the 65 and older ball and trunion bearing. And it already has a 66+ floor hump with the oval hole.

so then your half way there .......an OD is the same length ...your looking at a bolty bolt deal then ......make sure and keep us posted when you do it

Oh cool, glad mopar kept them the same length. I just hope the zbar and stuff works out. And finding a trans with a bell for a slant six, and a shifter with a handle that goes over the bench seat...

a 73 is most likely a 230 3 speed with the provisions for a floor shift ....thats actually a good unit ...make sure you dont just toss it like most ppl do ......thats a good one if its the 230 which is the side loader type.

its the 745 top loader type thats total poopoo

a 73 is most likely a 230 3 speed with the provisions for a floor shift ....thats actually a good unit ...make sure you dont just toss it like most ppl do ......thats a good one if its the 230 which is the side loader type.

its the 745 top loader type thats total poopoo

Lol. Alrighty, thank you very much Rani! :burnout:

For bells look at dodge truck and vans, 75-85 grab the flywheel while you are there.
Call Brewers, I would be also concerned at what flywheel to use on the early slant.
Also he could tell you what linkage to use on the z-bar.

-
Back