From SoCal, seeking perspective on new '68 Dart aquisition

-

6-david-5

Mopars under construction
Reaction score
Hello & nice to meet you all.

My first post here, and it is primarily because of my new aquisition, which is a '68 Dart Sport Special notch coupe. It was a recent Craigslist find, and is a VERY COOL little father/son project that I'm taking on with my 16-yr old. It is currently stock and untouched. He is going to learn to drive in this car, and eventually own it, and so far he loves it. Currently it has a non-running 225 hillside hemi.

My point to posting is to address the direction I really ought to take with this car. It is mine since I bought it, but I am offering it to him after he turns 18, and I expect it will be his at that time. The 225 idled like it was an absolute nervous-wreck, and I found it was due to bad exhaust valves in #3 & #5. The bottom-end never knocked, or gave me reason to stop and think. It sounded fine, and I will go so far as to say it IS fine. My son & I have pulled the head, and have verified the bad valves in #3 & 5--the darned things are practically D-shaped! The head rebuild base estimate at my preferred machine shop is going to be apx. $550, minus valves & springs, but including hardened exhaust seats (I would probably go 1.70-1.44's w/340 springs).

OR, I could do a 318/904 swap with a running engine/trans, and upgrade the platform for apx. the same price!

This car is already going to get disc brakes in the front, and that rear end is coming out, with my mind centered around a Ford Exploder/Late-model Mustang disk 8.8 rear, and a driveshaft made. I already have 11.75 rotors that came in the trunk of the car, just with the wrong spindles. These will make their way on the car because the brakes will make the car safer.

The proverbial angel on my one shoulder says to rebuild the head on the 225 leaning tower of power, and take advantage of my son's enthusiasm for the teardown on this motor so far, and see it through. The engine will VERY LIKELY run like a champ after the headwork, it will get mileage over and above any v-8 I can prep, and he won't be an outright danger to society as he endeavors driving under the influence of those occasions when he was a young passenger in my '65 big block Belvedere. On that note, there are probably times he remembers that I don't!

The proverbial demon on my other shoulder taunts me with how I would like to see this car evolve, and stabs me with his damn pitchfork while boldly stating, "how can any self-respecting hot-rodder plan on expending such effort and expense on the LEAST-DESIRABLE drivetrain combination possible???!! At least, install a 318/904 and tune it to the 9's for mileage if that is a concern, and have a platform that actually increases the worth of the car. Especially, since the plan is 4 wheel disc brakes with a modified rear with a custom drive shaft if length has to be addressed!

My son doesn't read car magazines like I did when I was young, and he's more of an intellectual. He loves this project, however, and this is what it took to get him out into the garage and off PC video games! He IS going to college after high school, and I actually rue the day that likely comes when he continuously bums a $20 off me for gas--I expect there are some Dads out there that can relate...

I'm just trying to think ahead, and I'm sure there may be some of you out there who can relate, or maybe have had some well-balanced solutions to this quandary!

Again, nice to make your aquaintance, and look forward to some perspective on this.

slant /6 or 318 either will be a dependable engine and serve you well.

so ... i'd say find whichever one you can for the best deal. properly outfitted the mileage difference will be minimal. with "performance" parts bolted on the 318 they can become gas hogs, however. same with the slant /6 if your carb is messed up not tuned you can be pouring gas down the tubes so to speak.

p.s. there was no dart sport in 1968. there was a dart, dart 270, GT and GTS
ALL '68's had a "notch back" if that's how you want to term it. usually that is used for '68 barracudas since there were two different styles of them, fast back barracuda and notch back barracuda. and convertibles.

dart sports didnt exist until 1973 (they replaced the dodge demon) :p

The 1973 model year Darts received new front styling with revised fenders, grille, header panel, and hood. Massive front bumpers were installed to comply with new federal regulations, as well as side-impact guard beams in the doors and new emission control devices. New single-piston disc brakes replaced the more complex 4-piston units offered from 1965 to 1972.
Chrysler's new electronic ignition system was standard equipment on all engines, and starter motors were revised for faster engine cranking. The K-frame was modified to accommodate a new spool-type engine mount that limited engine roll to 3°. The upper ball joints were upgraded to the larger B-body units. Along with these chassis changes, the wheel bolt pattern on Darts with disc brakes was enlarged from 4 in (101.6 mm) to the 4.5 in (114.3 mm) pattern common to the larger B- and C-body Chrysler-built passenger cars. Darts with 4-wheel drum brakes continued with the smaller bolt pattern. The standard rear axle was still the 7¼" unit, but the heavy-duty option was now an 8¼" item rather than the previous 8¾" rear axle. Standard rear axle ratios were 2.76:1 with automatic transmission and 3.23:1 with manual, though other ratios were available. Vent wings were deleted from the Swinger but not from the 4-door sedans. A new "Quiet Car" package was available, consisting of extra sound insulation, premium exhaust hangers and an exhaust resonator.[30]
The Demon fastback was renamed Dart Sport in response to Christian groups' complaints about the 'Demon' name and devil-with-pitchfork logo.[5] The high-performance model thus became Dart Sport 340, and 1973 saw styling changes to go along with the name change. The Dart Sport received the same new front end as the other Darts, and its taillights were changed to two lights per side, each with a chrome trim ring. These would remain unchanged through the 1976 model year.

here's some eye candy for you... '68 darts and cudas

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/ssah-for-everyone-not-mopar-nut-or.html

Hey Moparlover

Thanks for the response. I do now see I should probably clarify what model my Dart is that I'm speaking about. Please see attachments. One is a photo of the emblem on the fender, which says "Sports Special".

The car is virtually identical in options and appearance to this one:

http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/auctions/detail/230780263072/

These may have been California only.

I hope to hear from others as well...

Attachments

• Just arrived-small.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Sports Special emblem.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 58
-
Back