From Utah. 67 Barracuda Fastback. Hello!!

-

utahpops

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am a mopar fan from Utah. Got a 67 Barracuda I found in a barn.:blob: Had a 67 when I was in High School back in the late 60's. Was one of the funnest cars I ever had so I jumped at the chance to get another one. the car had been sitting for about 4 years. Picked it up the day after Christmas from California. Has a transplanted 340 and Automatic. Pulled the tank, Blew out the lines, replaced all vital fluids, replaced the water pump and thermostat, flushed the cooling system and fired it up. ran great:burnout: until something in the rear end came apart and punched a hole in the housing.:eek:ops: Pulled the rear end out over the weekend and am in the process of looking for a good replacement rear end. If you have a line on one I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Other than that, Love the car. Mopars are fun.

Welcome aboard, cudas are great, Dads is a 67 and mine is a 69. Post a want ad in the "parts wanted" section. We all would love to see pics...NOT of your rearend...LOL

Welcome pops, glad you're back in the game. :thumleft:

As far as the rear goes, i don't have a line on anything at this point, but I wonder what was in it originally? I'm guessing it was a /6 or 318 car that had a small 7.25" rear. With the 340, you'd probably be money ahead looking to convert to a 8.75" originally from a "A body". Not cheap these days, but it could be a one and done swap. Meaning a good one would last you for years making some good power. You might at least post a question in the Drivetrain forum about this, and the wanted section will usually bring some results also.

Can't wait til' you get her fixed up. Enjoy, and we love pics. :D

:cheers:Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate it. I tried to upload some photos but they would not load. As soon as I can figure it out I will post some.:sad1:

Oldmanrick. The car originally had a 225 slant 6 and 3 speed manual trans. The third member housing has numbers 2070721. the ring gear has numbers 2070225 and 3.91-1 stamped on the side.

Oldmanrick. The car originally had a 225 slant 6 and 3 speed manual trans. The third member housing has numbers 2070721. the ring gear has numbers 2070225 and 3.91-1 stamped on the side.

That's a 3.91 R&P used in a 20707(4)1 case. Maybe you just misread the number.....can be a little difficult at times. And it is a 8.75" rear.

I'm amazed that a /6 could have a original 3.91...even with the 3spd. Bottom line is, however it got there, you may already have something nice to build on. Not sure whether your damage was actually to the "housing" or just to the center section itself?

Should look like this...?

Attachments

• 741 case.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 152
:cheers:Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate it. I tried to upload some photos but they would not load. As soon as I can figure it out I will post some.:sad1:

The pics may be too large (pixel size). You may have to resize them.

Rick. This car also has a lug pattern of 5 on 4 1/2 on all four corners and disc brakes on the front. Manual brakes and Manual steering. I was under the impression that the A bodies had a smaller lug pattern. It also looks like the axles in the rear were changed out.

Have you determined what might be salvageable out of the whole thing? Was it a sure grip? Maybe some parts & pieces can put her back together? If it's too far gone, then my original post about looking for a complete unit may be your best option.

Rick. This car also has a lug pattern of 5 on 4 1/2 on all four corners and disc brakes on the front. Manual brakes and Manual steering. I was under the impression that the A bodies had a smaller lug pattern. It also looks like the axles in the rear were changed out.

It would have had the 4" for sure. You'll have to determine what mods have been done. Could be a chance that rear came from a early B body? Who knows since there's some non stock things going on. It will surely help when you can get the picture thing working.

One thing we do know is you blew up a 8 3/4" rear with a 340/Auto car.....You're a animal pops. :D:D:D

Seriously, plenty of good help here to get you the info and parts that you need. We'll all figure it out together.

I do believe it is a sure grip. Both wheels spin the same direction when it is up on a jack and you spin the wheels. I see no evidence of any broken teeth on any of the gears. The pieces that were in the housing look like brass and they have the appearance of some type of shear pin. About a quarter inch in diameter. Looks like they got chewed up real good by the gears. The hole in the housing is directly behind the third member in the actual rear end carrier ( I think that's what it is called). these pieces were picked up by the ring gear and smashed into the back of the bubble shaped housing on the lower right side. split the housing in a semi circular pattern on the lower hole one and only a bulge in the housing where it caught on the upper one.

I'll think on it a bit and let you know if something comes to me. It's about time to start a thread in the Transmission/Drivetrain forum in my opinion. It will get more targeted responses to try and get this problem solved.

-
Back