Front and rear windshield install in Boca Raton Florida.

-

1969ProDart

Reaction score
Anyone near me that knows how to install front and rear windshield, tried doing it myself and no success.... So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you please share how you were able to do it. I'm going to be doing both the front and rear here soon. I gotta take them out for the paint (paint being done the right way) and then put them back in. Any special way to take them out as to not break them. I took the one out on my GTO when it went in for paint and ended up breaking it like a chump because of all the adhesive sealant they put in.

Ok well the front windshield is easy. While the rear is a little more difficult.
What I did for the front windshield was mount the gasket on the pinch weld of the body. And don't forget to lace the edges with butyl. Best thing you can use. I bought my butyl in caulking tubes from ebay. Only used 1 for front and back but alwAys good to have extra for mistakes. I didnt use the rope trick for the front instead I used plastic tools almOst similar to a spatula. And work the seal around the glass.

Now for the rear you need to mount the seal on the glass itself first. Now I read a few posts saying how to lay the rope on the pinch weld of the body where the gasket sits on, dont know how they did this because it kept falling whenever I went to lay the glass on the body. .. so what I did is I inserted my 1/8th inch rope (all I had lying around) in the gasket (in the crevice where it sits on the pinch weld) itself starting one end at the top going which ever way..doesn't matter..all the way around to the other rope making sure you have enough extra to pull on each end. Now on the bottom section of the gasket the rope was falling out since it was such a skinny rope but it didn't matter. ..I was able to flip the gasket off the pinch weld with my plastic spatula. When you pull the string sort of pull the opposite direction of the opening of the part of the gasket that sits on the car. .. so for example if your starting at the top portion on the roof area, pull your string down while using your plasTic tools to pull the gasket over the pinch weld.

Now it's better to have two people doing these. I had my girlfriend helping me on the rear window. While I was pulling the rope from the inside of the car she was applying light pressure in the same area. It keeps the gasket fRom bouncing back out if you dont have enough lip over the pinch.

Now there's more then one way to do these. .. this is how I did it. .. it was successful.. so if it didn't work for you dont put me on blast. . Lol hope this helps

Yup, finish it off with some liquid butyl, like PTI 707 on ebay, flowed into the channel formed and leveled with a rag soaked in, and cleaned up with, mineral spirits.

Yup, finish it off with some liquid butyl, like PTI 707 on ebay, flowed into the channel formed and leveled with a rag soaked in, and cleaned up with, mineral spirits.

So you fill the channel where the glass fits or where the seal leaves a gap before the trim goes back on?

I did a little in both, if you have your butyl in a caulking tube it's easier to do. The tip sort of lifts the lip, but I had a helper lift as I laid butyl. Also don't be afraid to get messy with the butyl. Although it is sticky as honey, it cleans right up with mineral spirits.

-
Back