Front brake drum clunk@

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Ok...need some help..I broke off the little weight on one of my front drums so my after market rim would fit...yet this caused a clunk when i pressed on the brakes...yet they worked
So i switched the drum to the other side...and it does it on whatevevr side that drum is on!
So...i bought a used drum off another mopar person with the weight on it, and it still clunks!
what am i doing wrong?

Was the brake drum mounted on the car when you broke the weight off? If so, how did you break it off? Hack saw, pry bar, hammer and chisel, air hammer or what? If you whacked on it while it was on the car, something may be loose in the brake assembly. Remove the drum and carefully look over the entire brake assembly. If the noise moves with the drum, check the drum for cracks. A good drum should emit a "ringing" sound when tapped with a metallic object. If the drum checks ok, have someone verify that the noise is coming from the side with the drum in question. If you've installed shoes before, then disassemble everything and put it back together, inspecting every part as you reinstall it. Look closely at the shoes. Make sure none of the welds are broken. Check the shoe and the linings for cracks. Whether the linings are bonded or riveted, make sure they're not separating from the shoe. If everything checks ok, start looking at the front suspension members. Ball joints, tie rod, shock, bushings, everything on that side. Hope this helps.

Well im almost positive its the drum...cuz i switched the bad drum from the left to the right...and it does it on the other side
front end is completely rebuilt with brand new moog parts
Its odd though...when I swapped the bad drum with another used one from a local mopar guy..it does the same thing!
thanks

-
Back