Front Brake Replacement

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Front brakes need to be done on my 1976 Duster, car is going to be used as a DD. I want to get new rotors, calipers and pads. Just local parts store stuff, NAPA, Rockauto or can anyone recommend a brand?

Organic or semi- metallic pads?

Calipers with Phenolic or steel pistons?

Steel pistons and make sure it has the bigger piston size in it. EBC makes brake pads for the front with the bigger piston caliper so use those. They are worth every damn penny! Plus if you order through summit racing they usually have free shipping on them.

1. RockAuto has the best prices I've seen. ( I'm cheap ) ;)
2. Semi-metallic ( less brake dust than organic and lasts longer )
3. Steel piston ( phenolic have a habit of doing goofy stuff, at least on my ranger )

Semi-metallic usually start to squeal on me though, that is why I was leaning toward organic pads.

What size is the bigger piston size?

Damn EBC pads are $118!!!

Bigger piston size is 2.75". The Smalls are 2.6". If the rumor is true, you should already have the 2.75" being a 76.

I have never had an issue with phenolic pistons. My 12 year old A-1 Cardone remans that were $9.99 each still work perfect (just replaced the pads and rotors last week). They are also lighter.

Summit is the cheapest place online to buy rotors once shipping comes into account. The Bendix rotors are still made in China, but the quality seemed ok.

I used Wagner Thermoquiet Semi-Metallics...they are just barely bedded in, but they work well and so far are quiet. I also went to the 11.75" brakes though you may not want to go that route since they don't clear 14" wheels. It is a nice upgrade.

Make sure you get new brake hoses!!!! Also, if your master cylinder looks rusty on the inside, put a new one on, otherwise you'll just be pumping crap into your new parts.

-
Back