Front Bumper Removal Q

-

mrhp

Reaction score
On a '70 Dart, can the bumper be removed by taking out the 4 bumper-to-bracket bolts or do you need to remove the assembly including the brackets?

I would remove the bolts from the frame and take it out as an assembly...

Yes, you can remove the four big nuts and the bumper and reinforcement will come off. you don't have to take the brackets off.

If you remove the brackets and all, you can fight with the bumper mounting bolts much easier! Undoubtably they'll snap off, or cam out the squared hole and just spin while you're contorted trying to mess with them on the car, and with the brackets off you can blast and paint them and lube up the threads in the K frame for easy reassembly!

Inspect the big nuts. If they are not to corroded and rusty spray them with liquid wrench or similar and see if they break free. If not unbolt from the brackets

If the car is in good shape, the bumpers were already off at some point and may come right off.

I know this is an old thread but...

If you have chrome headed bumper bolts that won't come off, tighten them till they snap that way you won't damage the square in the bumper. I was lucky that 7 out of 8 of my chromed bolts came out ok but the last one was having nothing to do with it.

-
Back