front clutch drum springs

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
would it be beneficial to add more springs to the front drum pack currently have nine springs thinking of adding more but not sure if I should it is in a 727 that I am refreshing it has a Manuel valve body thanks for any help

For reference:

Factory%20front%20Clutch%20spring%20chart.jpg

it has the old cheeta mrv it does not apply the low band what does the extra springs do I' am not very knowledgeable about auto trans this is my first one

it has the old cheeta mrv it does not apply the low band what does the extra springs do I' am not very knowledgeable about auto trans this is my first one

The extra springs make the clutchpack release faster when it changes gears.
I would leave it like it is if I were you.

Assuming you are talking ablout the "forward drum" and not the "front drum"
They are two different drums, but My advice still stands unless the instructions for a kit tell you different..

..............if it worked fine b4 leave as is, if the front band is burned some then an adjustment is in order.....what is the front lever ratio and how many turns was the front band adj 2..........kim.......

I recently did a 727 for a buddy and it had the same valve body as yours. It also had 9 springs in the front clutch and the front band was toasted so I suspected a little 2-3 shift overlap and replaced the springs with a new set of 10 as the old ones had lost tension and I figured one more should put a halt on the overlap. Seems to be working great. He says it bangs the gears better than ever and I drove it and didn't feel any overlap and the shifts were very solid.

-
Back