Front Disc Brake Spindles

-

Krazed

Reaction score
Ok I have been reading forums all day trying to find a solution to my problem.

So here it is!

I have a 68 Barracuda, with power brakes and Front disc brakes. Rear drums, and a 5x4" Bolt pattern. I want to run some modern wheels (Boyd Coddington Junk Yard Dogs, or Torq-Thrust II's , etc.) However they only make those in 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

So, I come to you with this. I have decided to do a disc brake upgrade seeing as how I need to change the bolt pattern to 5x4.5" anyway.

Now, reguarding this. I'd like to know if the front spindles for Disc Brakes are the same as either of the drums, 9" or 10"? If so, That's great news for me! I Can go ahead and order my disc brake setup, seeing as how they come with hubs. If not, then I need to find some spindles that will work.

I would prefer to keep it all barracuda parts for future reference. Just to make things easier. I'd hate to have to tell anyone that its 74 dart spindles, with 72 this, and 65 that.. It just makes things confusing!

Also, I'm going to use Moser rear axles, incase those who are reading are wondering about how I will convert the rears. Any advice on that would he helpful as well.

If anyone has done this, please chime up! If not, maybe we can put our heads together and make something work to Convert to both Large Bolt Pattern, and disc brakes all around!

Thanks for reading! Hope you guys can help.

(Free beer for anyone who can help me!) :drinkers:

Do you like any of these wheels? http://hvydeez.com They will make them in a 5 on 4 bolt pattern for you. Takes about 4-5 weeks. Save you from making a swap searching for parts, labor....etc. Any of the 5 lug wheels shown can be made they told me. Good luck. :thumblef:

Wow! I just gave them a call and they said pretty much all of their wheels can be made for a 5x4" bolt pattern. They'll run somewhere around $1550 for 17x8's or so. That just made me MUCH Happier! Thanks a ton! Here's beer for you! I hope you like Highlife! :lol:

I know for a fact 73-up a-body disc brake swap is simple. If your looking for better brakes that dont pull to one side or other, find 73-up a-body(large bolt pattern 1st year) and take lower control arms(for correct spindle) upper control arms and rotors, and discs. You'll also want distribution block(for proper brake balance). Its a very easy swap, not period correct, but much nicer braking.

Keep the 4" Kelsey Hayes........there's nothing wrong with them, in fact they work better because they have 4 pistons. All the race brakes have 4 pistons.

Get 4" bolt pattern wheels and be done, then enjoy your car.

If you're going to swap let me know, I want to keep my 5x4 and would like to upgrade to disc brakes. Any one know of a kit to do this?
Adam

they also have a quick change upgrade that bolts their aluminum calipers to stock 72 and earlier disc spindles. if the 4 pistons sit awhile, they can develop rust in the piston bores due to moisture developing in the brake fluid. my buddy got replacements by raybestos(either#rc4176 or rwc4407 for left and rc4175 or rwc4406 for the right), hopefully still available.

-
Back