Front drag race brake question for 72 duster.

-

get dustd

Reaction score
So i need to decide what im going to do about front brakes on my duster as im finishing up the steering and suspension. Currently it has those kelsey hayes 4 piston caliper front brakes with the small 5 lug bolt pattern. First off I need the car to be a 4.5 inch bolt pattern so i can use my pro stars and front runners on the car. Most the brake kits ive found require drum front spindles. Can I just find spindles from other dusters or A bodys and swap them out? IF so does anyone want to upgrade from there drum brakes :) ??

The car has a 9" rear end so most companys make brake kits for the rear so it will be easy to match whatever i find for the front. Id prefer to get a strange front brake kit if they make one but im sure cheaper wilwood ones would work too. I know wilwood also makes a kit for my spindle setup but does that move it to 4.5" bolt pattern?

any help or ideas is appreciated. im on a budget but im not rushing to get the car done so Im trying to do everything correctly once so i dont have to spend money twice.

i did a disc brake swap on my 65 using the lower control arms, spindals, backing plates, and master cylinder out of a 73 dart. works great

well that sounds like a decent option. what about the spindle question? if i find drum spindles from another A body will they directly work and bolt in?

also are those wilwood brakes going to be good enough to eventually go single digits? and does the wilwood kit use stock wheelbearings?

custom100 said:
i did a disc brake swap on my 65 using the lower control arms, spindals, backing plates, and master cylinder out of a 73 dart. works great

Really? Then you did what no one else has done, or else maybe you just typed wrong and you meant you used the "UPPER" control arms, and other associated parts. It's the upper control arms that are different from 73 newer compared to 72 and older.

As to upgrding your front brakes, dusted, I don't think you should have to much trouble finding someone who wants the Kelsey Hays stuff, theres always someone searching for factory original parts like that for a numbers up restoration. I would just search out a 73 or newer and swipe all the brake hardware, spindles and upper control arms, buy new rotors in the size you want (either the stock 10 5/8" disks, or if you score a set of caliper adapters from a 76-78 B body or 79 up R body police cars you can go to the 11 3/4" disks like the late 70's early 80's cop cars had). Here is one of the best links I know of for someone looking to upgrade there brakes MoparAction brake disc info

well im very concerned about wieght as it is a streetstrip car and someday will be a full race car. I think an aftermarket brake setup is in order for me. Trading someone my setup for a drum spindle setup might be the way to go though otherwise i only have the option of the wilwood kit. strange brakes are much nicer.

-
Back