Front Drum Brake Help - 68 Barracuda

-

Haney

www.carsonandironmt.com
Reaction score
I need to replace a warped front drum on my 68 Barracuda. The new part number drums do not look exactly like my old one. It looks like it will fit OK but the lip of the drum is different and it is a little taller. Here are some pics. Thoughts? New drum is a Raybestos 2932R
68 Drums 2 (2).jpg
68 Drums 1.jpg

Side-by-side, it looks like the important dimensions match up with your old one. Pad width, overall height, etc.

The double wall on the original allows for better exclusion of water because it creates a better labyrinth. The lip on the backing plate centered in between the 2 walls but now you will only have one path.

If it otherwise physically fits, I would use it. Of course you need to replace everything in pairs.

Looks like your old drum is double drilled for a pattern change. So, what pattern do you have, 5 on 4, or 5 on 4 1/2?

Yes, I am going to drill the new one. Wanted to be sure it would work first. Did a cheap 5x4.5 Conversion by drilling front and back.

Referencing my earlier post.
I have direct experience on a 2003 Neon I had. It had rear drums that did not have that double wall. It allowed a direct path for water to intrude into the brake internals. One time I was driving home from work, 20 miles to go, and I started hearing a terrible noise coming from the rear. I pulled over and removed the left rear tire. It was obvious the drum was wedged and wouldn't turn. Somehow I got it free and was able to get to a large auto parts store. Made it home, struggled to get the drum off, and everything inside was rusty. The bonded brake lining was sheared off from the steel shoe. Apparently the semi-metallic lining would rust right to the drum and broke free.

I found sone riveted shoes and used those but the rusting was always a problem.

-
Back