Front Drum to Disc Brake HELP

-

DSTR 340

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need the expertise of the forum to try and solve my problem. I sent this question SSBC tech department a few days ago and I am still waiting for a response. I was hoping that you guys could give me an idea while I wait to hear from them. I recently purchased a SSBC front disc kit off a friend of mine who is doing a fully stock restoration on his 65 barracuda. He tells me that the kit is only a year old and has very little use on it. I don’t have the model numbers in front of me and I am not sure where they are located. The kit is a full SSBC drum to front disc brake conversion kit for 62-72 A- body mopars. I purchased the kit with the intent of putting it on my 70 Duster 340. The problem is that after deciding to rebuild the entire front suspension I discovered that a previous owner used a later year A-body front suspension. Judging by the lower control arms, upper ball joint and part numbers it leads me to believe it’s off a 74 Duster. My question to you is will the SSBC calipers and other parts from the kit made for 62-72 A- bodies bolt on to the later model steering knuckle (aka spindles). That way I can still utilize the kit and only have to purchase the late mode spindles and lower ball joint.

If this kit is designed to use the 10" drum brake spindles you are in luck. The only part of the spindle that was changed was the upper ball joint hole. Hope this helps.

Yeah thanks for the tip I called them earlier today but the guy was having trouble understanding the problem. That could very well be my fault if I was not explaining it correctly. He told me that none of their kits for 62-72 a-bodies can be converted to fit any of the later years because they are made to convert drums to disc. My problem is that my friend gave me a set of front disc spindles as part of the kit. I guess what I am asking is if the kit came with front Disc Brake Spindles for 62-72 a-bodies and the caliper bolt directly on to the spindle. If I buy a set of 73 and later Disc Brake Spindles are the holes the same size that way I can bolt on the calipers and use the kit. I know that the holes for the upper and lower ball joints are different sizes on the 73 and later spindles that’s why I can’t use the spindles that came with the kit. Does anyone know if the holes for where the calipers bolt on are the same for the 62-72 and the 73-76 and if so will the spindle swap allow me to use the kit?

That’s what I thought but my buddy gave me the spindles with the kit and I can figure out why. Does anyone know if SSBC makes a front brake kit that’s not just for converting drums to disc? Do they make front disc brake kits that are not conversion kits?

Thanks for all the input guys it was all very helpful. I am just going to do a 73 and up disc brake conversion and sell my kit. I all ready found a buyer who can use it and I will break even on the deal. However, I am now looking for a set of 73 and up disc brake spindles or a set of late model F/J/M disc brake spindles.

Hey Justin, Mike here:

Yes, the SSBC kit needs 10" drum spindles, not disk spindles. Those drum spindles I gave to you were the original small ball joint one for 72 and earlier - 10" drum. As you have found out the hard way, you have 73+ large ball joints and the supplied spindles will not work with the large UCA BJs.

OPTION #1: (this is the most simple for an "off the shelf" job with all Ma Mopar parts. Shop manuals will make assy. a breeze!

To do an OEM type drum to disk conversion on your 70 (that already has 73+ Upper control arms; You will need the following parts for a 73+ Disk brake setup:

1) Drum-Disk Prop. valve (In-line tube has them new for $92)
2) Rotors: machine originals or new
3) Bearings, grease seal and dust cap (set for each side)
4) Brakes pads (D84 is the part number)
5) Drum-Disk Master cylinder - non-power (101627)
6) Front caliper hoses (Raybestos BH36755)
7) Calipers (4067/4068 for a 73) OR (4102/4103 for a 78 Aspen - larger bore)
8) Rotor dust shields (optional - used or repop ; 3 screws per side)
9) Spindles: A slider type for 10.87" rotors OR F/J/M (OK...please don't start the "you can't use FJMs on an A body" rant) some say yes - some say no.
10) Lower Ball Joints (Moog K781/K783)
11) LBJ bolts. 4 needed; theses are the through bolts and nuts that hold the LBJ to the disk spindles. make sure you take them if you find a donor car!

I have rotors / pads / hoses / shields if you need them.

Option #2:

1) Prep and install original OEM small BJ UCAs. I have a good used set.
2) Use the 72 and earlier LBJs, for the Drum braked car. They will mate to your existing tie-rod ends.
3) follow the rest of the instructions from SSBC for the master cylinder...etc.

Option #3.

1) Take the 10" spindles to a machine shop and see if they will machine the SBJ taper to a LBJ taper. Not sure of the cost to do this.
2) Continue on with the SSBC install.

Shoot me a PM. I put the word out you are looking for spindles.
Call me if you wish...you have my number.....
Mike

-
Back