front end camber

-
Depends on which way it is traveling. If you look at an A body lifting the wheels in a wheel stand, the camber goes negative. With suspension back at normal ride Height it goes back neutral or positive.

I thought positive camber was the outward tilt of the wheel at the top of the tire and negative camber is inward tilt at the top of the tire?
You are correct. The reason I worded my response the way I did was to eliminating Nate confusion between up and down travel. Body lifting up like a wheel stand is actually downward suspension travel. Body coming down on front end is up trave of suspension. As suspension moves down away from body the camber goes negative aka top of the tire closer to the center line of vehicle than bottom of tire. Hope that clarifies it .

Thanks... was thinking of hard cornering where the A arms raise in relation to the frame.
Because they are unequal lengths they will move in different arcs.The only way to tell is having them in hand and moving the spindle up or down.
So you are saying hard cornering will cause and increase in camber or " tilt" the top of the wheel away from the car on an A body?

You are correct. The reason I worded my response the way I did was to eliminating Nate confusion between up and down travel. Body lifting up like a wheel stand is actually downward suspension travel. Body coming down on front end is up trave of suspension. As suspension moves down away from body the camber goes negative aka top of the tire closer to the center line of vehicle than bottom of tire. Hope that clarifies it .

It doesn’t.

Compression and extension are the terms you need to use. Then, think about how the spindle travels on the control arms. The spindle travels in an arc, so, that’s where the camber change comes from.

As the suspension is compressed, the spindle travels up on its arc, tilting the top of the tire toward the car- negative camber.

As the suspension is extended, the spindle arcs down, tilting the bottom of the tire toward the car, and the top away- positive camber.

Of course what the camber actually is depends on where your ride height is set at and what your camber is at that height. That’s one reason lowering the ride height helps suspension geometry and handling. You want the camber to go more negative with compression, it helps keep your tire contact patch parallel with the road when cornering. The lower the car sits, the faster you gain negative camber on compression. At the stock ride height the camber curve isn’t great. If the car is lowered so the control arms are close to parallel, you get negative camber gain with compression.

Thanks... was thinking of hard cornering where the A arms raise in relation to the frame.
Because they are unequal lengths they will move in different arcs.The only way to tell is having them in hand and moving the spindle up or down.
So you are saying hard cornering will cause and increase in camber or " tilt" the top of the wheel away from the car on an A body?

Hard cornering causes the camber to go more negative. Negative camber gain on the camber curve. On the outside wheel anyway, which is the one that matters.

that sounds better.
..more negative on the outside wheel during compression to keep better tread contact,especially on a banked curve.

It doesn’t.

Compression and extension are the terms you need to use. Then, think about how the spindle travels on the control arms. The spindle travels in an arc, so, that’s where the camber change comes from.

As the suspension is compressed, the spindle travels up on its arc, tilting the top of the tire toward the car- negative camber.

As the suspension is extended, the spindle arcs down, tilting the bottom of the tire toward the car, and the top away- positive camber.

Of course what the camber actually is depends on where your ride height is set at and what your camber is at that height. That’s one reason lowering the ride height helps suspension geometry and handling. You want the camber to go more negative with compression, it helps keep your tire contact patch parallel with the road when cornering. The lower the car sits, the faster you gain negative camber on compression. At the stock ride height the camber curve isn’t great. If the car is lowered so the control arms are close to parallel, you get negative camber gain with compression.

Hard cornering causes the camber to go more negative. Negative camber gain on the camber curve. On the outside wheel anyway, which is the one that matters.
You are incorrect on which way the camber moves during extension of an A body short long arm front suspension. Causes the camber to go negative during the extension of the suspension.

You are incorrect on which way the camber moves during extension of an A body short long arm front suspension. Causes the camber to go negative during the extension of the suspension.

Really? Here's a plot of the suspension geometry for an A-body. This car is lowered one inch, alignment as posted. Here's the source Swapping Disc-Brake Spindles - Mopar Muscle Magazine

It's plotted via "dive", which means, positive dive is compression. Negative dive is extension. The most negative camber is under full compression, the least is at full extension. Hence, negative camber gain.
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 1.39.31 PM.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back