front end parts for the Dart

-

kiss

Reaction score
First here's the specs on the 71 Dart I have:
-Big upper and lower ball joints to accommodate the disc brakes (bigger disc, off a 79 Cordoba)
-Manual steering (good quality box not worn out its 20:1)
-Sway bar.
-Heavier duty tie rod ends and adjusting sleeve (can't remember where I got it from)
-Also I have good shocks (Edelbrock IAS)

Problem is front end parts are worn out. Looking at the best options for part replacement.

Car is just a daily driver, not high performance. The only additional upgrade I want to do is get adjustable/tubular UCAs. Which are the good ones to buy these days? Firm feel? Other opinions?

As far as the rest of the front end parts what are the best options we have for quality?
Buy Moog parts individually?
Are there kits with quality parts in them? I heard most of the kits online are made-up of low quality "made in China" junk.

Thanks guys

fwiw I bought all my front end part from Rock Auto using Moog and Raybestos Professional depending on availability. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I didn't get the convenience of a kit, but the price point was fine and quality is about as good as you get for off the shelf parts (that I'm aware of)

fwiw I bought all my front end part from Rock Auto using Moog and Raybestos Professional depending on availability. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I didn't get the convenience of a kit, but the price point was fine and quality is about as good as you get for off the shelf parts (that I'm aware of)
What vehicles did you select on Rock Auto to find the parts? For instance, a 71 dart 225 slant 6 stock has small upper and lower ball joints. I upgraded to disc (and now have a 360) so I need big ball joints.
Same thing with tie rod ends, what to select to get 11/16" tie rod ends?

I was fortunate (depending on point of view) in that my car is more or less stock. Easy to look for parts.

I believe that '73 and up a-bodies were all switched to larger ball joints. So take a look at '73+ Dart and I think you'll get what you need for ball joints. I'm unsure about the tie-rod ends though.

I did some research so I have more specific questions to ask now. I’ve been referencing this page on bigblockdart:

Moog/Chrysler Suspension Part Numbers

I don’t need to worry about upper control arm bushings and upper ball joints because those will be coming along with the new tubular/adjustable upper control arms.

If someone could verify me, this is what I found on that chart of 1971 Dart parts:
Strut rod bushings = Moog K7040
Lower control arm bushings = Moog K791
Pitman arm = Moog K7074
Idler arm = Moog K7042

Due to the changes I made to the car with the disc brakes and 11/16” tie rods & HD adjusters, I’m not sure about these parts.

Lower ball joint, I know the car has the big lower ball joint since I switched to the disc brakes and replaced the spindles and UCAs (disc brakes off a 79 Cordoba if I recall). Which part # is for the big lower ball joint that will fit on my car? I circled the 3 of them and I’m not sure which. I think K781 is what I need because wouldn’t K785 be for a car that has stock disc brakes, like the Kelsey-Hayes or whatever, that uses the small ball joints still? And K7021 would be for stock drum brakes/small ball joints?

I’m also not sure which inner and outer strut rods to get. The car is a 71 Dart and has the 71 center link but has the big lower ball joint. The only difference is it has 11/16” tie rods with the heavier duty adjuster. Which ends should I get for it?

Lastly can anyone explain to me what an idler arm bushing is? They seem to be out of stock everywhere (the Moog one) and do you have to buy that along with a new idler arm? I’ve never heard of buying just the bushing.

lower.JPG

tie.JPG

We have various types of the kits available meaning we have either a rubber kit or polygraphite kit. Then we have two different levels of kits. We have a standard kit and a super kit. The difference is in the contents of each. We have been offering this kit idea for over 30 years with great success and all product that we offer is back with a lifetime limited warranty for as long as you own your vehicle. Now in your case since you went with the later larger version ball joint and you were to visit our site. You can still put in your exact year and model. Then when you pick a front end kit. There would be the option to pick the kit with single piston calipers which is for the later larger ball joint. Also we do offer a discount to the members of the forums on orders over $200. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing

-
Back