Front end rebuild 65 Dart GT

-

Tad

Reaction score
44C3E19D-3A78-4943-932E-64C33C57EFBF.jpeg
2DC07F53-684F-4BCC-BC04-3ADDF7A6DEF5.jpeg
Decided to bite the bullet and tear into the front end. Replacing everything. Made a lot of progress today. Tomorrow removing the tie rods completely and pulling the torsion bars back so I can pull the lower control arm and replace the strut rod bushings. Waiting for tie rod ends to show up ( they were totally worn out) and new a arm bushings.

It’s a job. I just finished up my dads 67 coronet today. I removed the torsion bars by removing the retaining clip at the back and using a brass hammer and loosening the pivot pin nut but leaving it flush with pin threads, I tapped the lower control arm and torsion bar back. Didn’t take much. Then was able to separate the two.

Are those pressed out? Is it just the bushing or is it the entire pin that is replaced?
The pivot pin gets pressed out, and the fun part comes. Digging the bushing out.
You can weld a washer to the bushing to get them out with a press. Speciality tools are made for the job also.
A machine shop is probably easier and cheaper unless you have a welder, and a press, or access.
You could burn the rubber out, and chisel it out. But that can get ugly.

Head here and download the service manual. It’s for a 66 dart/coronet but the info should still apply to your 65. It will help you out.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
IMG_2119.jpg
IMG_2119.jpg
IMG_2120.jpg
IMG_2121.jpg
IMG_2124.jpg
IMG_2134.jpg
Have been a member for a while now so thought it was time to post some pics and little and my 2 cents, On the LCA bushings unless you are going strictly stock I found no need to replace the metal bushing jackets in the control arm or on the spindle, went and had spindle pressed out, then cleaned inner bushing with wire brush on my drill, never took it off the spindle, used 600 sand paper inside outer bushing after prying rubber out with a screw driver, bought energy suspension bushings only no metal, got them started and went and had them pressed back in at the local tire store. Of course that was after hot tanked, a little sand blasting ($20 at small machine shop) the my brother in-law cut my stiffening plates (2 holes instead of 3, no need for 3rd hole) with small waterjet cutter and then powder coated them with my Eastwood system and stuffed paper towels in torsion bar and spindle socket so no powder coat got inside, pulled paper towel and put them in the oven. Results in pics, one tight suspension.

image.jpg
Looks great! I got mine back together. Now just need an alignment. Put it back pretty close to where it was. Thank you for sharing your pics. I’m in the process now of laying some paint on mine.

Last edited:
-
Back