front end rebuild

-

Joker13

Reaction score
I took my 68 Barracuda to a locally renowned suspension shop that has been around for 80+ years. My dad had work done on his 68 Camaro 30yrs ago there, they are a trusted place.

They gave me a list of things needed Torsion bar bushings, front shocks, strut bar bushings, upper arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints.

I decided to do a front end rebuild kit- might as well do it all at once.

Any suggestions on the best kits both in the quality and quantity of parts? Are there parts I should replace or look at that would not be part of a kit? The car has a 318 and drum brakes. I am on a budget and have seen kits from $220-$1000+ I do not want to go cheapest, but can't afford the most expensive.

Part II is doing the job. I haven't touched this type of stuff in 20yrs. I have a friend who is a mechanic who may be interested in doing it with me. I would like to build my own car, but is this the type of thing best left for the experts?

Thanks

First decision to make is if you are going to go with poly or rubber bushings. From that you will know which kit/parts to buy.

I had mine done last year (sway bar bushings, end links, ball joints, uca, LCA and strut rod bushings, etc) and went with Moog parts for everything.

I rebuilt mine but with the complete k frame and suspension dropped out of the car. I bought a complete PST kit (~$400) and didn't find it that difficult at all to do. I took the lower and upper control arms to a machine shop to have the old bushings pushed out and the new ones pressed in but everything else I did myself. Once complete, I aligned it in my driveway with the string method and drove it to a pro to be out on a rack and aligned perfectly.

The suspensions on these are stupid simple, read up and do it up!

MOOG offset UCA bushings and MOOG hockey puck 'problem solver' strut rod bushings are what I recommend; the rest is whatever.. You'll figure it out.

Great link; the same page has a separate tab on replacing the LCA bushings. Does anyone have any corrections or additions to the info there?

I just went all caveman on the LCA bushings.. Chisel, hammer and patience.. Once the shell is out, use a press to install new ones. Really wasn't that hard..

Hey guys; don't forget that PST is a sponsor here and offers 10% off. Even if you can get it for a few dollars less, let's support our sponsors. I decided to go with Phoenix Graphics for the big white 340 Callout stripe on my 69 Barracuda FB even though It was a bit cheaper on Ebay. Boy am I glad I did. Best quality graphic I have ever installed.

Hey guys; don't forget that PST is a sponsor here and offers 10% off. Even if you can get it for a few dollars less, let's support our sponsors. I decided to go with Phoenix Graphics for the big white 340 Callout stripe on my 69 Barracuda FB even though It was a bit cheaper on Ebay. Boy am I glad I did. Best quality graphic I have ever installed.

I`m hung up on torsion bar bushings ! ????

I took my 68 Barracuda to a locally renowned suspension shop that has been around for 80+ years. My dad had work done on his 68 Camaro 30yrs ago there, they are a trusted place.

They gave me a list of things needed Torsion bar bushings, front shocks, strut bar bushings, upper arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints.

I decided to do a front end rebuild kit- might as well do it all at once.

Any suggestions on the best kits both in the quality and quantity of parts? Are there parts I should replace or look at that would not be part of a kit? The car has a 318 and drum brakes. I am on a budget and have seen kits from $220-$1000+ I do not want to go cheapest, but can't afford the most expensive.

Part II is doing the job. I haven't touched this type of stuff in 20yrs. I have a friend who is a mechanic who may be interested in doing it with me. I would like to build my own car, but is this the type of thing best left for the experts?

Thanks

Buy Moog parts. Rock Auto has them listed cheaper than most places, but Summit will match the price. Get it over 100 bucks and there's no shipping or tax. That's what I did. They even matched a discount code I had.

Thanks
Part 1: Unless you are driving on smooth streets or have plans for aggressive driving, recommend rubber bushings. The PST front end kit will have all that you need except the offset UCA bushings. These parts are sold by MOOG through Rock Auto. They will be helpful if more than +2º caster is desired.

Part 2: DIY works as long as the T-bar gets respect. Don't scratch it or try to remove it unless ALL load is off it. I will get alignment as close as I can but rely on experts to get things exactly like I want it. Determine driving style / car use and use SKOSH chart for settings. Original factory settings are only OK for bias ply tires.

I had access to a press when I did my front-end rebuilds. I would leave press fitting new bushings into the control arm to a pro otherwise

Attachments

• alignment-specifications.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 451
I just purchased (and received) every single part needed to rebuild the front end of my 68 Barracuda

If you'd like, I can post up all the part numbers...

Jeff

I just purchased (and received) every single part needed to rebuild the front end of my 68 Barracuda

Jeff

Nice! If you need help I'm willing to lend a hand. I'm about to do the same to my Duster but I'm waiting for PST to have torsion bars in stock.

Jeff please post part numbers of the Moog parts,would be a great help Thanks

These parts are for a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda...

Prices are Summit racing (Note many items you will need 2 as noted) and the UCA bushings are the "offset" bushings.

Moog Chassis Parts ES319S - Moog Tie Rod Sleeves MOG-ES319S
Tie Rod Sleeve, Steel, Black Painted, Dodge, Plymouth, Driver, Passenger Side, Each
(Mfr. #: ES319S) Ready to Ship
Ground
$14.97 2 $29.94

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moog Chassis Parts ES401L - Moog Replacement Tie Rod Ends MOG-ES401L
Tie Rod End, Greasable, Inner, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Passenger Car, RWD, Each
(Mfr. #: ES401L) Ready to Ship
Ground
$14.97 2 $29.94

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moog Chassis Parts ES401R - Moog Replacement Tie Rod Ends MOG-ES401R
Tie Rod End, Greasable, Outer, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Passenger Car, RWD, Each
(Mfr. #: ES401R) Ready to Ship
Ground
$14.97 2 $29.94

Moog Chassis Parts K7042 - Moog Replacement Idler Arms MOG-K7042
Idler Arm, Replacement, Dodge, Plymouth, Passenger Car, Each
(Mfr. #: K7042) Ready to Ship
Ground
$34.97 1 $34.97

Moog Chassis Parts K7074 - Moog Replacement Pitman Arms MOG-K7074
Pitman Arm, Steel, Dodge, Plymouth, with Manual/Power Steering, RWD, Each
(Mfr. #: K7074) Ready to Ship
Ground
$77.97 1 $77.97

Moog Chassis Parts K7103 - Moog Front Control Arm Bushings MOG-K7103
Control Arm Bushings, Front, Upper, Rubber, Black, Dodge, Plymouth, Passenger Car, Kit
(Mfr. #: K7103) Ready to Ship
Ground
$27.97 2 $55.94

Moog Chassis Parts K772 - Moog Ball Joints MOG-K772
Ball Joint, Greasable, Upper, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, RWD, Each
(Mfr. #: K772) Ready to Ship
Ground
$17.97 2 $35.94

Moog Chassis Parts K781 - Moog Ball Joints MOG-K781
Ball Joint, Passenger Side Lower, Dodge, Plymouth, RWD, Each
(Mfr. #: K781) Ready to Ship
Ground
$44.97 1 $44.97

Moog Chassis Parts K791 - Moog Front Control Arm Bushings MOG-K791
Control Arm Bushings, Front, Lower, Rubber, Black, Dodge, Plymouth, Passenger Car, Kit
(Mfr. #: K791) Ready to Ship
Ground
$12.97 2 $25.94

Proforged Chassis Parts 124-10001 - Proforged Dodge A/B/E-Body Ball Joint Removal Tools POF-124-10001
Ball Joint Removal Tool, 1/2 in. Drive, Dodge, Plymouth, Each
(Mfr. #: 124-10001) Ready to Ship
Ground
$29.95 1 $29.95

Moog Chassis Parts K783 - Moog Ball Joints MOG-K783
Ball Joint, Driver Side Lower, Dodge, Plymouth, RWD, Each
(Mfr. #: K783) Ready to Ship
Ground
$44.97 1 $44.97

Now.....what I forgot was to order my strut rod bushings....OPPS!!!!!
Does anyone know the correct part number (MOOG) and how many I need?

Edit: I found it....it's Moog K7040 and about $27

Thanks - Jeff

I`m hung up on torsion bar bushings ! ????

These are the toughest part. You have to burn out the rubber from the old ones and cut the sleeve with an air chisel, torch (very carefully) OR Weld a washer across the lip of the sleeve after pressing out the shaft and then press out the sleeve from the torsion bar socket side.

I wasn't sure what was meant by torsion bushings either. At first I thought it was something I didn't know about.

Keep in mind when buying Moog now that it is a global company as of 2012. They now have parts made in China, Indonesia, Belgium, India and several other places as well as the US. They are no longer exclusively "Made in USA".

Keep in mind when buying Moog now that it is a global company as of 2012. They now have parts made in China, Indonesia, Belgium, India and several other places as well as the US. They are no longer exclusively "Made in USA".

Yup.....I was aware when I ordered.....that's really sad.....

Jeff

I got a box like that. Kinda like Christmas!!

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 252
-
Back