Front Fender Dilema

-

70dart

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate and remove the old, and replace the piece that runs down the inside of the Dart front fenders (I believe it is for structural support and an attachment point) in the pic it is the boxlike strip at the rear of the fender.

0e_1.jpg

Does the old support have to be removed?

I'd find someone with a metal break, fabricate the new support in 2-3 sections(curved bends are difficult), and tack them over the old part. my two cents.

Hey thanks that is a option that I never entertained, although it is rusted quite bad so I think I should probably remove it so that the rust does not progess. It would be quite impossible to ensure full proper coverage with a rust inhibitor or converter on the inside of this support.

I believe that the support is adequate enough to use to shape a new one. Any other options or ideas out there floating around, thanks for helping this newbie out!! :salute:

If the brace is rusted, then the sheetmetal of the fender is also rusted behind the brace. I bet if you hit the lower part of the outside of the fender with a sandblaster you'll find rust holes happenning there. What I've done with mine is to remove the outer fender sheetmetal just below the bottom body line, and then you have access to the inside of that brace, which is where the rust will be worst. Once you have access to the inside, sandblast or grind the rust away, replace any part of the brace that needs replacement, use some sort of rust inhibitor or just epoxy primer and some paint, then replace the outer fender sheetmetal with a piece of good replacement metal. That brace very seldom needs to be completely replaced, just parts of the lower portion, but if you don't do the fender sheetmetal now it'll ruin your new paint job within a year or two when the rust does come through. Hope this helps.

OldVart said:
If the brace is rusted, then the sheetmetal of the fender is also rusted behind the brace. I bet if you hit the lower part of the outside of the fender with a sandblaster you'll find rust holes happenning there. What I've done with mine is to remove the outer fender sheetmetal just below the bottom body line, and then you have access to the inside of that brace, which is where the rust will be worst. Once you have access to the inside, sandblast or grind the rust away, replace any part of the brace that needs replacement, use some sort of rust inhibitor or just epoxy primer and some paint, then replace the outer fender sheetmetal with a piece of good replacement metal. That brace very seldom needs to be completely replaced, just parts of the lower portion, but if you don't do the fender sheetmetal now it'll ruin your new paint job within a year or two when the rust does come through. Hope this helps.

Good point... and since you've got a Dart, you can buy a replacemnt patch for the lower (dog leg) portion of the fender. For those of us with Plymouth's we're SOL (or have to make a custom piece) since the Plymouth fenders have a longer dog leg portion compared to the Darts.

I just fabricated a piece and welded it in. There's only a very slight crown front to rear and a little more crown in the vertical. If you have trouble making it all in one piece, then make two pieces and butt weld them with the mig. Since the area isn't that large, heat warpage shouldn't be a big problem if you take your time and space out your spot welds as you go. Good luck.

im doing this same thing on my cudas fender right now, these are pictures from last night, i just need to do a little big more fabricating :toothy7:

rust.JPG

patch.JPG

Thanks for your input guys, and your picture1966 dart wagon they helped, but I didn't see any signs of spotwelds. That is how this support attaches to the fender isn't it? Now I have to go take a second look as I forget exactly how bad it is, maybe snap a pic if I can. Thanks again guys appreciate it a ton

1966 dart wagon,

I just checked mine and it is only the lower portion that is damaged like your but with more holes, From what I see it looks like this supprt is only spot welded on the side that the fender lip folds over, is this right?

-
Back