64 Dart 270

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Contact seller
Yes, I know this is a strange request….

My Dart needs frame rails and floors. I’ve been a shade tree mechanic since being a kid (a long time ago), but my body work experience to date has been limited to a ball peen hammer, screws, pop rivets, and bondo slathered on good enough to pass a sticker (which don’t take much in VT). I really want to learn and do the body on my dart as well even though it will probably cost me as much (after buying all the tools and supplied) and take a really long time, but I’m in it for the journey as well as the result.

I signed up for a night welding class at a trade high school near my work and had the first class this week. The instructor (awesome guy) said that we could bring in little projects and show up early and he would help us work on it and give us advice. I have my 270 dart front end stripped down (engine, tranny, hood, fenders, bumper etc), and next is to take the k-frame out and then it’s time to take a million measurements/references before pulling the rails. But, I don’t want to do that until I’m ready to put replacement rails in.

So I was thinking about it the other night, and thought if someone had some rusty scrap rails laying around they could cut up I’d gladly pay for your time and the ride to my address for a couple of say 10-12” sections. My thought is that if I had a couple of small sections I could practice cleaning them up, cut and bend one of the sections to simulate the frame rail end that attaches to the cross member, spray them with weld through prime, weld them together, and then get some sheet metal the same thickness as a floor pan and practice making those spot welds as well.

Any takers to help and old newbie???

i have the back 27" from the p/s of a 76 dart that you're welcome to.just pay shipping,kent
Thanks Kent! I was actually on the phone with another member when you posted this. I got what I need, but thanks a lot for the response - appreciate it! Frank

There are line up holes on the front clip to the cowl braces. If you look on the back of the fender wells you will see a hole at the top on each side . Keep this intack. Use a cut off wheel to clean the very back of the rail. Do not square the flanges and try not to bend them at all. Keep the frame to rocker brace in place. When you are ready to install. Keeping the k-member off allows you to move the rails together. Put them back against the torsion bar cross rail.

Once in place install 5/16 bolts through the holes in the rear of the fender wells this will put it close if not right on and will hang from there. Makes it a one man job . Pull the rails outward to the frame to rocker brace. Then install the empty k-member to square the clip. Then jack the rails even to the bottom of the torsion cross member on each side. I usually just set the car on jack stands on the rails. Pre fit fenders to line doors and hood.. I find it best to line up the hood on the car before cutting the clip off and leave it on the car.

I never use a spot weld drill on the rear of the fender wells. Clean the fire wall flange and the fenderwell going on with a cut off wheel carefully not cutting through one weld at a time. Get a air flanger/hole punch at Harbor frieght . Punch holes in the flange not the fender wells then weld from underside. This hides all welds. Also use air punch on rear flanges on the rails . Drill all punches to a larger dia. 1/4 " this makes for a better penetration when welding. I have some pics if needed. We have done several of these at our shop. Just finished a Demon and have member 69383valiant's car coming in next.

If you have any questions you can call anytime PM me for my phone number if you need

Thanks Oldmanmopar for all the details and tips! I'm gonna review this info again this weekend while looking at the car to make sure I understand what your saying. Then I'll probably pm you to hit you up for the pics you mentioned and some follow up questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back