Front Quarter Panels - Patch or Replace?

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Got the initial layers peeled off, and think I've uncovered most of the Rust Damage to the 68' Dart. Wanted to pull from the Master here. Is it worth to Patch, or should I replace the whole Quarter Panel? I've attached some pictures. Thanks again for all the help.....

Pat

Front Quarter Panel, Right Side (behind Tire)
Picture010.jpg

Front Quarter Panel, Right Side (behind Tire)
Picture003-1.jpg

:thumbup:

With that much rust down low, that fender is bound to have rust along the top underside of the fender (where the fender and inner fender under the hood meet). Poke your head up into the wheel well (wheel doesn't need to be off) and look along the underside of the fender where it joins to the inner fender.

I have some rust along the bottom portion of each of my fenders (not the same amount as yours) and I'll be replacing one of my fenders since there's also rust along the top underside of the fender.

I'd probably replace the whole frt quarter (fender) if it's available for a reasonable price. Working that curved section from scratch would be difficult and time consuming to get it done right and looking good.

Fenders are hard to come by but Shermanparts.com has a lower fender patch panel just for that repair.

Hey Guys...Got the fender off this afternoon. Here's some updated images, and the wheel well looks pretty solid, just that lower edge of the fender. I was wondering if I would Weld in Solid Metal behind the Fender, after all the Rust is cut our, and then fill in with Body Filler. The other option is the lower Fender replacement. I'm going to price that tomorrow.

Thanks....

Lower Fender detached from Car..
Picture016.jpg

Lower Fender (backside)
Picture015.jpg

Right Wheel Well..
Picture018-1.jpg

wow thats alot of rust, and i though my fender was bad :lol: good luck man, you could either get a patch pannel and make some custom parts for the brace, or either order a new(used) fender, good luck

Looks like typical Pa. rust!
I had to replace the right front fender on my Duster because of rot,i found a nice rust free one at Carlisle last year for it.

-
Back