Front Speakers

-

RenVill

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently found out that my front driver side speaker on my 72 Demon is blown. Does anyone have a "How To" document to take these out and replace? I cant seem to figure out an easy way to do so.
Any help is appreciated.

If you’re talking about a factory radio/speaker set up, there is no drivers side. There’s just one speaker in the middle. Not sure if you have AC , but on my 69 barracuda without ac, I took off the defroster hoses and used a 1/4 inch drive with an extension. Then carefully wiggle it out after you unplug it around the heater control.

If you’re talking about a factory radio/speaker set up, there is no drivers side. There’s just one speaker in the middle. Not sure if you have AC , but on my 69 barracuda without ac, I took off the defroster hoses and used a 1/4 inch drive with an extension. Then carefully wiggle it out after you unplug it around the heater control.

I think it's factory...it looks like factory to me. I'll see if I can take a picture and upload it on here.
Yes, the car does have AC...which is another thing I'll need to create a new thread about to ask questions.....

One thing people overlook is to check the factory shop manual. There are usually detailed step by step instructions for every procedure. You can download them or purchase a reprint hard copy.

Step #1: Wear some safety glasses. I got a big ol' peice of rusty junk in my eye when I was working off my back doing this.

Step #2: Are you opposed to swearing? If not, good. Because you'll be doing a lot of it.

Step #3: Remove all obstructions so you can access the little bugger from underneath. That means all air ducts, wiring, etc...

Step #4: Get yourself some Advil because your back is going to be more crooked than a politician from laying on the trans tunnel.

Step #5: If you have abnormally long arms (like a Shaq-long) you may be able to remove your glove box liner and access it that way.

Step #1: Wear some safety glasses. I got a big ol' peice of rusty junk in my eye when I was working off my back doing this.

Step #2: Are you opposed to swearing? If not, good. Because you'll be doing a lot of it.

Step #3: Remove all obstructions so you can access the little bugger from underneath. That means all air ducts, wiring, etc...

Step #4: Get yourself some Advil because your back is going to be more crooked than a politician from laying on the trans tunnel.

Step #5: If you have abnormally long arms (like a Shaq-long) you may be able to remove your glove box liner and access it that way.

Can you provide pics of these steps. I'm interested specifically about step 2. :-D

One thing people overlook is to check the factory shop manual. There are usually detailed step by step instructions for every procedure. You can download them or purchase a reprint hard copy.

Would you happen to know where I can get one specifically for the 72 Demon?

3B8879F4-E74C-4925-8495-5D93770A798C.png

Would you happen to know where I can get one specifically for the 72 Demon?
Here's the home page of the site. Lots of great stuff to surf.
MyMopar

Here are service manuals available for free download. None are an exact match for your Demon, but some will be close.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

The 1970 Challenger and Dart manual will be helpful. Your car was only known as a Demon in 1971-72, but very similar cars were called Darts before and after that.
The 1972 Plymouth chassis manual will have Duster information, which is the corporate twin to your Demon. Again, not a perfect match, but it will be helpful.
I've had the 1968 Plymouth CD for many years. The only problem with that is that CD is becoming an obsolete platform. Now that makes me feel old!

Get a parts manual while you're at it. They can be very helpful, sometimes showing how things are assembled.
Parts Manuals – MyMopar
Welcome to FABO!

Here's the home page of the site. Lots of great stuff to surf.
MyMopar

Here are service manuals available for free download. None are an exact match for your Demon, but some will be close.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

The 1970 Challenger and Dart manual will be helpful. Your car was only known as a Demon in 1971-72, but very similar cars were called Darts before and after that.
The 1972 Plymouth chassis manual will have Duster information, which is the corporate twin to your Demon. Again, not a perfect match, but it will be helpful.
I've had the 1968 Plymouth CD for many years. The only problem with that is that CD is becoming an obsolete platform. Now that makes me feel old!

Get a parts manual while you're at it. They can be very helpful, sometimes showing how things are assembled.
Parts Manuals – MyMopar
Welcome to FABO!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

How about leaving that blown speaker in place and installing kick panel speakers instead?
Can't really see them, but you can definitely hear them.
Screenshot_20220819-232535_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

20220819_183916.jpg

Not factory, but my hats off to the guy who hand drilled all those holes.
Agreed, that looks custom for sure, but a better solution than cutting the door panels. I wouldn't do that mod now, but whoever did it made a nice job of it, so why not use it? When I had my Road Runner, you could still buy the plastic footwell panels from the dealer on the cheap. I bought a set of those and cut holes in them for 4-1/2" speakers. Not as nice as those in post 11, but it worked well, and I'm sure the guy who owns the RR now appreciates having nice (probably brittle and flakey) originals.

There's not going to be an easy way to get at that speaker. It might involve removing the instrument cluster. Truth be told, that's not that bad a job. There are threads on here to help you through it. Before doing that, get a strong light, and look up under the dash, and see what you can see. Can you reach up there? If it looks like you could if you had more maneuvering room, consider taking out the seat. It's a bit of a pain the first time, especially a bench, but a bucket is easy, and gives you room to lay on your back to work up there. Just be sure to disconnect the battery before you go yanking on stuff under the dash. Good luck, and please report back with progress.

-
Back