Front suspension components

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
For those of you who have been down this road before;
I've succeded in removing my rusty K-frame and front suspension components and am debating over the best way to clean it up and repaint. I mentioned in a previous thread a local powdercoat shop quoted me $125 to strip & powdercoat the K-frame; I'm considering this. What about the other parts? (Upper/lower control arms, spindles, sway bars, etc?) What do you guys suggest; what works well, what doesn't work? I'm considering buying a portable sandblaster......any pros and/or cons? Wire brushing/wire wheeling work better/worse? How about Naval Jelly, etc? Any suggestions are appreciated as I'll be starting in next week. Thanks in advance.

sand blasting takes a very big air compressor, and lots of blasting media, never had any luck with naval jelly....i have a local body shop that has a blasting set up , not to bad on price , so i take all my pieces to them for cleaning....check around your area..

Thanks for the advice. I might try that, (depending on cost). The motor is squeezing me for every last dime at the moment! :thumblef:

blasting is the BEST way to make the surface ready for paint or powdercoat. it actually etches the top surface and leaves it "open" so the coating has a tooth to stick to it. plus it makes it smoother and gets in all the nooks and crannys that a wire wheel can't.

G'day mate,
over here (i mean down here) in Australia there is a Rolls Royce restoration company in Melbourne that dips all of its rusty parts in Molasses(treacle-like syrup drained from raw sugar) and it works very well. Farmers down here use it as a cattle feed mixed with salt so farm supplies I guss would have it.
Dont get a sugar fix!!!

Yeah, molasses is a chelating agent. My understanding is you have to keep the rusty part in a mixture of one part molasses to nine parts water for two weeks, though.

-
Back