Front suspension is denting oil pan and hitting headers

-

chasb

Reaction score
Car is a 440 with a Milodon oil pan (not deep) and STI stainless headers all of which was done when it was restored in 2001.

There is some play in the steering ( 2 inches or so either way) UC Arm may be bad. I have been driving the car fine for the 7 years I have owned it but my mechanic noticed these issues when it was up on the lift.

I could lift the motor about a half inch to clear without any hood issues. Will that put it out of the allowable std deviation range for drive train alignment?

Any suggestions?

If there's that much play, it sounds like you need a suspension overhaul. First things I checked would be the:

Pitman and idler arms and mounts
Steering box mount-these are often cracked allowing the box and everything else to move when the steering wheel is turned
Steering box itself
UCA and LCA bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends

If the steering linkage is hitting things, make sure everything checks out before you do anything else. Maybe the car was set up that way, ie, the PO didn't check for steering interference, but you won't know for sure until you check out the steering and suspension.

Any recommendations on a complete overhaul SHoud I try to stasy with everythnig stock or go with an aftermarket suspension kit? Car is not numner matching so I'm not worried about ruining the originality.

Any recommendations on a complete overhaul SHoud I try to stasy with everythnig stock or go with an aftermarket suspension kit? Car is not numner matching so I'm not worried about ruining the originality.

That really depends on how much you want to spend. A stock rebuild + sway bars + sub-frame connectors is a really nice setup for a driver.

-
Back