Front suspension Q’s

-

Anthony Beauchamp

Reaction score
Hey I have a 1966 Barracuda. I’m working on being more road worthy. I have some questions about front suspension. My upper control arms need to be replaced or rebuild, what are my options? Can I just buy the parts and have my local machine shop rebuild them? I did the Kelsey Haines brake upgrade a year or two ago if that changes anything. Also what’s the possibility of getting a front sway bar for an early A-body? While I’m in the front suspension is there anything else I should upgrade or replace?

Thank you for your help.

IMG_0393.jpeg

By rebuild the arms, I assume you mean new bushings and ball joints. You can definitely have a local shop do that, or do it yourself if you have the tools (or don't but are down to get creative). You will need small ball joints. You also might consider the moog offset upper control arm bushings for additional caster.

As for the front suspension, I would definitely take a look at the lower control arm bushings. Unless they were done recently they are almost certainly bad. If you have the lower control arms off, that is the time to do strut rod bushings since they can't be done later on without taking the arm back off (I made this mistake and would like to warn others).

Do you have disc brakes on the front? If so, that means that you probably have conversion UCA with large ball joints. Check to see if you have large or small ball joints. Going this far it would be wise to check/replace UCA bushings. Also check/replace LCA bushings, lower ball joint, strut bushings. All these parts are available at the local auto parts store.A mechanic may be needed for assembly and disassembly and pressing off/on bushings. Ball joints require a special socket.

a competent machine shop shouldn't have a problem rebuilding the arms. i'd 100% do the moog offset upper bushings. buy good ball joints and lower control arm bushings and tie-rods if needed. you're in this far, i'd check the pitman and idler arm as well.

swaybar wise, the stock ones are rare and you'll need the equally rare lower control arms with the sway bar tabs and the mounts.

several aftermarket companies make them now, and while expensive quickor, firm feel and hellwig would be my first choices.

Mark them left and right or they wont know how to put the bushings in or take them to whoever will be doing the alignment

I’m familiar with how suspensions work and basic front end alignment, but, after looking at the Moog bushings, I’m curious how you would adjust them once they are installed.Do you strike the tabs on the sleeve, or do you simply install them in a particular position? This is a dumb question to all you guys who are experienced at Mopar alignments. I know some types of UCA bushings are designed to be adjusted, but I don’t know how you do it here.

Anthony
Not on topic, but how come your 66 B-Cuda dosnt have the turn signal indicatotrs on the front fenders,???. Do you have dash indicators,???. Just curios.

Dave

Anthony
Not on topic, but how come your 66 B-Cuda dosnt have the turn signal indicatotrs on the front fenders,???. Do you have dash indicators,???. Just curios.

Dave
Shaved off this was a movie car from San Bernardino CA I pulled out of big bear. I don’t have the indicator on the dash, didn’t know there was one.

I’m familiar with how suspensions work and basic front end alignment, but, after looking at the Moog bushings, I’m curious how you would adjust them once they are installed.Do you strike the tabs on the sleeve, or do you simply install them in a particular position? This is a dumb question to all you guys who are experienced at Mopar alignments. I know some types of UCA bushings are designed to be adjusted, but I don’t know how you do it here.
The only adjustment is how you install them. The arrow on the bushing indicates the direction of offset. For most caster, the front is offset out and the back is offset in. After you've installed them it's a done deal and all further adjustments are made by twisting the cam bolt. The alignment process does not change, but you will have more caster for any given position of the cam bolts.

Their are no dash indicators on a 66 B-Cuda, They didn't have them, just the fender fins, which are like hens teeth to find, along with the wiring. You could install a couple of LEDs in the dash, (the kind with the long wires attached) if you wanted too.. then just tap into the appropriate wires down under the steering coloum. Just a thuoght.

Dave

The only adjustment is how you install them. The arrow on the bushing indicates the direction of offset. For most caster, the front is offset out and the back is offset in. After you've installed them it's a done deal and all further adjustments are made by twisting the cam bolt. The alignment process does not change, but you will have more caster for any given position of the cam bolts.
Thanks. I didn’t read the first posts correctly and I thought the offset bushings were also adjustable. Now I understand they just give you more range - if they are installed correctly. Didn’t mean to hijack the post, but this was good information I didn’t have about the Moog bushings. Now I know what they do and where to get them. I have two cars to do, so this was very helpful. Thanks again.

-
Back