front suspension

-

65 CUDA

Reaction score
I was told I can swap out my front suspension that is in my 65 barracuda for a different front suspension where the torsion bars criss-cross in the front instead of going to the rear. I think the person told me I can use the front suspension from a 5th ave./diplomat/new Yorker but from the years ranging from 85-88, but idk. any ideas from what type/year and has anybody done this before

I have heard of using the transverse torsion suspension to update the 40s-50s cars.
I believe their is at least two different widths to choose from.
Every car I have seen this suspension used in required cutting and welding to the original frame to get the suspension to bolt in.
They are a good option but not an easy bolt in swap to a early A-body or any body they didn't come factory in.
Similar concept as the mustang II conversions but much sturdier.

Mopar moved the torsion bars to the horizontal position so they would be attached to the K frame instead of the body of the car. This allows the entire K frame to be isolated from the unibody by rubber bushings. It smoothed things out but allows for a lot of bump steer. I think an upgraded 65 system (polyeurathane bushings, bigger torsion bars and better shocks) would be better for handling and a lot easier to install.

Nah, not really something one would want to try. The FMJ body k-frame is not much better than what you already have.

Greg

-
Back